Owner-occupied homes, income-producing properties, and REITs as inflation hedges: Empirical findings
- 387 Downloads
New evidence on the correlation patterns of various real estate returns with inflation is presented. Returns on a wide array of real estate, nonresidential as well as residential, are investigated. Stock and bond returns are also analyzed for comparison purposes. Extensive heterogeneity is found in real estate return correlations with inflation. Nonresidential property returns are most strongly positively correlated with inflation, although the appreciation in owner-occupied homes is also positively associated with inflation. However, REIT returns tend to be strongly negatively correlated with inflation. In this respect, they look more like traditional stocks and bonds than any other type of real estate. Finally, new evidence on return correlations with energy prices is also presented. Nonresidential real estate performs best here, too, although no real estate asset fully compensates investors for adverse energy price shocks.
Key wordsInflation hedge Nonresidential real estate REITs
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bruggeman, W. B.; Chen, A. H.; and Thibodeau, T. G. “Real Estate Investment Funds: Performance and Portfolio Considerations.” AREUEA Journal (Fall 1984), 333–354.Google Scholar
- Dougherty, A. and Van Order, R. “Inflation, Housing Costs, and the Consumer Price Index.” American Economic Review, 72, 1 (March 1982), 154–164.Google Scholar
- Fama, E. F. and Schwert, G. W. “Asset Returns and Inflation.” Journal of Financial Economics 5 (November 1977), 115–146.Google Scholar
- Hartzell, D.; Hekman, J.; and Miles, M. “Diversification Categories in Investment Real Estate.” AREUEA Journal (Summer 1986), 230–254.Google Scholar
- —, “Real Estate Returns and Inflation.” AREUEA Journal (Spring 1987), 616–637.Google Scholar
- Ibbotson, R. G. and Siegel, L. B. “Real Estate Returns: A Comparison with Other Investments.” AREUEA Journal (Fall 1984), 219–242.Google Scholar
- Ibbotson, R. G. and Sinquefield, R. A. “Stocks, Bonds, Bills and Inflation: Year by Year Historical Returns (1926–1974).” Journal of Business 49 (January 1976), 11–47.Google Scholar
- Linneman, P. “An Economic Analysis of Homeownership.” Journal of Urban Economics 17, 2 (March 1985), 230–246.Google Scholar
- Miles, M. and McCue, T. “Historic Returns and Institutional Real Estate Portfolios.” AREUEA Journal (Summer 1982), 184–199.Google Scholar
- National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts. REIT Fact Book 1986 Washington, D.C.: NAREIT Inc., 1986.Google Scholar
- Sirmans, G. S. and Sirmans, C. F. “Real Estate Returns: The Historical Perspective.” Journal of Portfolio Management (forthcoming).Google Scholar