Testing for randomness in stream ciphers using the binary derivative
- 148 Downloads
The binary derivative has been used to measure the randomness of a binary string formed by a pseudorandom number generator for use in cipher systems. In this paper we develop statistical properties of the binary derivative and show that certain types of randomness testing in binary derivatives are equivalent to well-established tests for randomness in the original string. A uniform method of testing randomness in binary strings is described based on using the binary derivative. We show that the new tests are faster and more powerful than several of the well-established tests for randomness.
KeywordsBernoulli trials binary derivative cryptography pseudorandom sequence stream cipher
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beker, H. and Piper, F. (1982) Cipher Systems: The Protection of Communications, John Wiley & Sons, New York.Google Scholar
- Carroll, J. and Robbins, L. (1988) Using binary derivatives to test an enhancement of DES. Cryptologia, 12(4), 193–208.Google Scholar
- Dawson, E., Gustafson, H. and Davies, N. (1991) Black box analysis of stream ciphers. Australasian Journal of Combinatorics, 4, 59–70.Google Scholar
- Farebrother, R. W. (1984) The distribution of a positive linear combination of χ2 random variables. Applied Statistics, 33, 332–339.Google Scholar
- Good, I. J. (1953) The serial test for sampling numbers and other tests for randomness. Proceedings of the Cambridge Philosophical Society, 49, 276–284.Google Scholar
- Kimberley, M. (1987) Comparison of two statistical tests for keystream sequences. Electronic Letters, 23(8), 365–366.Google Scholar
- McNair, J. (1989) The binary derivative: a new method of testing the appearance of randomness in a sequence of bits. MSc thesis, University of Western Ontario.Google Scholar
- Miller, R. (1985) Multiple comparisons, in Encyclopedia of Statistical Sciences, Vol. 5, S. Kotz and N. L. Johnson (eds), John Wiley & Sons, New York, pp. 679–689.Google Scholar
- Rubin, F. (1978) Computer methods for decrypting random stream ciphers. Cryptologia, 2(3), 215–231.Google Scholar