Observations of coronal polarization at the solar eclipse of 7 March, 1970
- 30 Downloads
Polarigraphic observations of the 7 March, 1970 eclipse were made at Miahuatlán (Mexico) with a camera of 120 cm focal length. A polarizing filter in front of the objective could be adjusted at 8 different positions, 22.5° apart. Reduction of eight photographs of the white light corona yields polarization at 72 position angles and from r = 1.1 up to 2.1. High polarization which cannot be explained with Thomson scattering was not observed. An analysation of the measuring accuracy shows, that it is not possible to determine exactly the direction of polarization in the outer corona with the classical method of measuring polarization with a small number of photographs. The coronal hole in the south-west quadrant is analysed. The low intensity and polarization can be explained by a hole with an extent in longitude between 1 and 2 times its extent in latitude and with a minimum electron density between 0 and 0.3 of that outside the hole.
KeywordsFocal Length Measuring Accuracy Classical Method Coronal Hole High Polarization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Billings, D. E.: 1966, A Guide to the Solar Corona, Academic Press.Google Scholar
- Hata, S. and Tojo, A.: 1972, Ann. Tokyo Astron. Obs. 13, 149.Google Scholar
- Keller, C. F.: 1971, Solar Phys. 21, 425.Google Scholar
- Saito, K.: 1972, Ann. Tokyo Astron. Obs. 13, 93.Google Scholar
- Sazanov, A. A.: 1973, Soviet Astron. 16, 674.Google Scholar
- Van de Hulst, H. C.: 1950, Bull. Astron. Inst. Neth. 11, 135.Google Scholar
- Withbroe, G. L., Dupree, A. K., Goldberg, L., Huber, M. C. E., Noyes, R. W., Parkinson, W. H., and Reeves, E. M.: 1971, Solar Phys. 21, 272.Google Scholar
- Waldmeier, M., Weber, Susi E., Zelenka, A., and Dürst, J.: 1970, Astron. Mitt. Eidg. Sternwarte Zürich, No. 297.Google Scholar
- Waldmeier, M. and Weber, Susi E.: 1971, Astron. Mitt. Eidg. Sternwarte Zürich, No. 308.Google Scholar
- Waldmeier, M. and Weber, Susi E.: 1974, Astron. Mitt. Eidg. Sternwarte Zürich, No. 329.Google Scholar
- Waldmeier, M.: 1974, Solar Phys. 40, 351.Google Scholar