Chaotic behavior of the north-south asymmetry of sunspots?
- 41 Downloads
North-south asymmetry in the distribution of sunspots was examined. Weak correlations between north-south asymmetry and sunspot number were found in several time lags. Higuchi's fractal dimension (1988) was calculated to evaluate irregularity in north-south asymmetry. The fractal dimension obtained is 1.90 ± 0.01 and this implies that the north-south asymmetry is highly irregular. The method of Sugihara and May (1990), based on the nonlinear prediction method, was used to distinguish between deterministic chaos and noise. The results do not confirm the idea that north-south asymmetry is an example of deterministic chaos.
KeywordsFractal Dimension Prediction Method Weak Correlation Sunspot Number Chaotic Behavior
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Carbonell, M., Oliver, R., and Ballester, J. L.: 1993, Astron. Astrophys. 274, 497.Google Scholar
- Carbonell, M., and Oliver, R., and Ballester, J. L.: 1994, Astron. Astrophys. 290, 983.Google Scholar
- Eckman, J.-P. and Ruelle, D.: 1992, Physica D56, 185.Google Scholar
- Farmer, J. P. and Sidorowich, J. J.: 1987, Phys. Rev. Letters 59, 845.Google Scholar
- Gizzatullina, S. M., Rukavishikov, V. D., Ruzmaikin, A. A., and Tavastsherna, K. S.: 1990, Solar Phys. 127, 281.Google Scholar
- Higuchi, T.: 1988, Physica D31, 277.Google Scholar
- Koyama, H.: 1985, Observation of Sunspots 1947–1984, Kawadeshoboshinsha, Tokyo.Google Scholar
- Mundt, M. D., Bruce, W., Maguire II, W. B., and Chase, R. R.: 1991, J. Geophys. Res. 96, 1705.Google Scholar
- Newton, H. W. and Milson, A. S.: 1955, Monthly Notices Roy. Astron. Soc. 115, 398.Google Scholar
- Ostryakov, V. M. and Usoskin, I. G.: 1990, Solar Phys. 127, 405.Google Scholar
- Price, C. P., Prichard, D., and Hogenson, E. A.: 1992, J. Geophys. Res. 97, 19113.Google Scholar
- Roy, J. R.: 1977, Solar Phys. 52, 53.Google Scholar
- Sugihara, G. and May, R. M.: 1990, Nature 334, 734.Google Scholar
- Swinson, D. B., Koyama, H., and Saito, T.: 1986, Solar Phys. 106, 35.Google Scholar
- Verma, V. K.: 1992, in K. L. Harvey (ed.), The Solar Cycle, ASP Conference Series, p. 429.Google Scholar
- Waldmeier, M.: 1971, Solar Phys. 20, 332.Google Scholar
- White, O. R. and Trotter, D. E.: 1977, Astrophys. J. Suppl. 33, 391.Google Scholar