Solar flare neutrons and their capture gamma ray emission
- 36 Downloads
We briefly describe our recent Monte Carlo calculations of the energy and angular distributions of neutrons escaping from the solar atmosphere. Comparing the calculation results with measurements of the neutron flux from the flares, we determined the angular distribution and energy spectrum of the accelerated ions. We also describe our calculations of the time dependence of the 2.223 MeV line emission, which provide a sensitive measure of the photospheric 3He abundance. We find that the SMM measurements of the time dependence of the 2.2 MeV line emission from the flare of 1982 June 3 imply a 3He/H ratio of (2.3±1.2)×10−5 at the 90% confidence level.
KeywordsAtmosphere Flare Confidence Level Time Dependence Energy Spectrum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dermer, C.D.: 1987, Astrophys. J. in press.Google Scholar
- Forman, M.A., Ramaty, R., and Zweibel, E.G.: 1986, in The Physics of the Sun, ed. P. Sturrock (Dordrecht: Reidel), v. 2, p. 249.Google Scholar
- Hua, X-M.: 1986, Ph.D. dissertation, Univ. of California, San Diego.Google Scholar
- Hua, X-M., and Lingenfelter, R.E.: 1987c, Astrophys. J. 323, in press.Google Scholar
- Ramaty, R.: 1979, in Particle Acceleration Mechnisms in Astrophysics, ed. J. Arons, C. Max and C. McKee (New York: Am. Inst. Phys.), p. 135.Google Scholar