A general theory of thermoporoelastoplasticity for saturated porous materials
- 328 Downloads
A general theory of thermoporoelastoplasticity for saturated porous materials is presented. The theory is derived from the thermodynamics of open systems and irreversible processes. The thermal effects, due to the saturating fluid, are taken into account through a latent heat associated with the increase of fluid mass content. The theory does not assume incompressibility nor infinitesimal displacements for the saturating fluid. To take into account the plastic compressibility of the skeleton, the notion of plastic porosity is introduced. This plastic porosity is different from the overall plastic dilatation. The usual isothermal phenomenological theories appear to be particular cases of the proposed general theory.
Key wordsThermoporoelastoplasticity latent heat plastic porosity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Biot, M. A., 1977, Variational Lagrangian-thermodynamics of nonisothermal finite strain mechanics of porous solids and thermomolecular diffusion, Int. Solids Structures 13, 579–597.Google Scholar
- Bourbié, T., Coussy, O., and Zinszner, B., 1987, Acoustics of Porous Media, Gulf Publishing Company.Google Scholar
- Coussy, O., 1988, Thermomechanics of saturated porous solids in finite deformation. Accepted for publication in the European Journal of Mechanics - A- Solids.Google Scholar
- Halphen, B. and Nguyen, Q. S., 1974, Plastic and visco-plastic materials with generalized potential, Mech. Res. Commun. 1, 43–48.Google Scholar
- Hill, R., 1950, The Mathematical Theory of Plasticity, Clarendon Press, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Rice, J. R., 1975, On the stability of dilatant hardening for saturated rock masses, J. Geophys Res. 80, 1531–1535.Google Scholar
- Rice, J. R. and Cleary, P. P., 1976, Some basic stress diffusion solutions for fluid saturated elastic porous media with compressible constituents, Rev. Geophys. Space Phys. 14, 227–241.Google Scholar
- Salençon, J. and Halphen B., 1987, Elastoplasticité, Presses de l'E.N.P.C., Paris.Google Scholar
- Vardoulakis, I., 1985, Stability and bifurcation of undrained, plane rectilinear deformations on water-saturated granular soils, Int. J. Numer. Anal. Meth. Geomech. 9, 399–414.Google Scholar
- Vardoulakis, I., 1986, Dynamic stability analysis of undrained simple shear on water-saturated granular soils, Int. J. Numer. Anal. Meth. Geomech. 10, 177–179.Google Scholar