Biosorption of copper by Sargassum fluitans biomass in fixed-bed column
- 83 Downloads
The behavior of native and protonated Sargassum fluitans seaweed biomass packed in a fixed-bed was examined during a continuous removal of Cu2+ from 35 mg/L aqueous solution at pH 5.0. The capacity of native and protonated biomass, based on the dry weight of the native biomass, were determined to be 61.5 and 54.1 mg/g, respectively. During the saturation of the native biomass with heavy metal, first Na+ and K+, followed by Mg2+ and Ca2+, were eluted from the fixed-bed before the breakthrough time of the Cu2+. The pressure drop across the column varied with the ionic composition of the effluent from the bed, yielding an average permeability coefficient of 2.7 .10-12m2. The void fraction of the interstices in the bed was estimated to be 0.27. No light metals were eluted from the column containing protonated biomass, and the pressure drop remained constant throughout the saturation.
KeywordsCopper Biomass Permeability Heavy Metal Aqueous Solution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Coulson J.M., and Richardson J.F., Chemical Engineering, Pergamon Press, 1991, 4th edition, 132–134Google Scholar
- Fourest E., Canal C., Roux J.-C., FEMS Microbiol. Rev., 1994 14, 325–332Google Scholar
- Fourest E., and Volesky B., Environ. Set. Technol., (submitted May 1995)Google Scholar
- Hines A.L., Maddox R.N., Mass Transfer Fundamentals and Applications, Prentice-Hall Inc., Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1985 491–493Google Scholar
- Jha I.N., Iyengar L., Prabhakara R., J. Environ. Eng., 1988, 114, 4, 962–974Google Scholar
- Katchalsky A., Cooper R.E., Upadhyay J., and Wasserman A., Chem. Soc. J., 1953, 5198-5204Google Scholar
- Leusch A., Holan Z.R., Volesky B., J. Chem. Tech. Biotechnol., 1995, 62, 279–288Google Scholar
- Percival E., and McDowell H., Chemistry and Enzymology of Marine Algal Polysaccharides, Academic Press, NY., 1967, 3 and 157–164Google Scholar
- Trujillo E.M., Environ. Sci. Technol., 1991, 25, 9, 1559–1564Google Scholar
- Volesky B., Biosorbents for metal recovery, Trends Biotechnol., 1987, 5, 96–101Google Scholar