Micropropagation of common ash (Fraxinus excelsior)
- 137 Downloads
Embryos extracted from dried seeds of common ash (Fraxinus excelsior), were germinated on growth regulator-free culture medium. Cotyledonary nodes from these seedlings were placed onto Murashige and Skoog, Woody Plant or Driver and Kuniyuki culture media with 22.2 or 44.4 μM benzyladenine, on which they developed into shoot cultures following the outgrowth of axillary buds. With Murashige and Skoog medium, cultures often died. With Woody Plant Medium, survival of the cultures was considerably improved, but large amounts of callus were produced at the cut ends of the explants, and new axillary shoots had long internodes and small leaves. With Driver and Kuniyuki medium, both survival and callus formation were much improved, and the shoots produced were of high quality. Proliferation of axillary shoots was obtained from both shoot tip and nodal explants placed onto Driver and Kuniyuki medium with 22.2 μM benzyladenine. Adventitious root formation was best with shoots inserted into half-strength Woody Plant Medium containing 2.45, 4.9 or 9.8 μM indolebutyric acid. All of the rooted plantlets tested have successfully established in soil.
Key wordsclonal forestry shoot culture tree vegetative propagation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barghchi M & Alderson PG (1985)In vitro Propagation ofPistacia vera L. and the commercial cultivars Ohadi and Kalleghochi. J. Hort. Sci. 60: 423–430Google Scholar
- Brazier JD (1990) The Timbers of Farm Woodland Trees. Forestry Commission Bulletin 91. Her Majesty's Stationery Office, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Cox DR & Snell EJ (1989) Analysis of Binary Data, 2nd Edition. Chapman and Hall, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Driver JA & Kuniyuki AH (1984)In vitro propagation of Paradox walnut rootstock. HortScience 19: 507–509Google Scholar
- Lloyd G & McCown B (1980) Commercially-feasible micropropagation of mountain laurel,Kalmia latifolia, by use of shoot tip culture. Comb. Proc. Intl. Plant Prop. Soc. 30: 421–427Google Scholar
- Preece JE, Christ PH, Ensenberger L & Zhao J-L (1987) Micropropagation of ash (Fraxinus). Comb. Proc. Intl. Plant Prop. Soc. 37: 366–372Google Scholar
- Preece JE, Zhao J-L & Kung FH (1989) Callus production and somatic embryogenesis from white ash. HortScience 24: 377–380Google Scholar