Primary production and respiration of the phytoplankton in the Blue and White Niles at Khartoum
- 34 Downloads
Phytoplankton production and respiration in the Blue Nile and White Nile at Khartoum were measured during the period November 1969–January 1971 using the light and dark bottle technique. Maximum rates of production coincided with periods of maximum phytoplankton densities. In the Blue Nile gross production varied between 0.00 gCm−3d−1 during the flood season and 2.19 gCm−3d−1 (0.49 mgO2l−1h−1) during November 1969. In the White Nile the range was from 0.41 gCm−3d−1 (0.09 MgO2l−1h−1) in May to 3.74 gCm−3d−1 (0.83 MgO2l−1h−1) in November. The maximum rates of respiration in the Blue Nile and White Nile were 0.10 and 0.63 MgO2l−1h−1 respectively. The ratios net:gross production were generally higher in the White Nile than in the Blue Nile.
KeywordsSudan algae Blue Nile primary productivity tropical rivers White Nile
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ganf, G. G. & Horne, A. J., 1975. Diurnal stratification, photosynthesis and nitrogen fixation is shallow, equatorial lake (Lake George, Uganda). Freswat. Biol. 5: 13–39.Google Scholar
- Hendrey, G. R. & Welch, E. B., 1974. Phytoplankton productivity in Findley Lake. Hydrobiologia 45: 45–63.Google Scholar
- Lewis, W. M., 1974. Primary production in the plankton community of a tropical lake. Ecol. Monogr. 44: 377–409.Google Scholar
- Mackereth, F. J. H., 1963. Some methods of water analysis for limnologists. Scientific Publications, Freshwater Biological Association 21.Google Scholar
- Sinada, F. & Abdel Karim, A. G., 1984. Physical and chemical characteristics of two African rivers: The Blue Nile and White Nile at Khartoum. Hydrobiologia (this volume).Google Scholar
- Sinada, F. & Abdel Karim, A. G., 1984. A quantitative study of the phytoplankton in two African rivers: The Blue Nile and White Nile at Khartoum. Hydrobiologia (this volume).Google Scholar
- Talling, J. F., 1957. Diurnal changes of stratification and photosynthesis in some tropical African waters. Proc. r. Soc., B. 147: 57–83.Google Scholar
- Talling, J. F., 1965. The photosynthetic activity of phytoplankton in East African lakes. Int. Revue ges. Hydrobiol. 50: 1–32.Google Scholar