Embryology and development of a freshwater prosobranch, Melania scabra
Embryology and development of the snail, Melania scabra was studied. The embryos complete their development in a special incubatory pouch called the broodpouch and hatch out in a form completely resembling that of the adult. The embryonic development of the snail represents specialized features like precocious development of the statocyst, presence of a well developed velar retractor muscle and torsion.
Keywordsbrood-pouch statocyst velar retractor muscle torsion trachophore veliger
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Erlanger, R. V. 1892. Entwicklungsgeschichte der Gastropoden. (Bythinia). Mitt. Zool. St. Nepal, 10: 376–407.Google Scholar
- Nagaraja, S. 1942. Development of Pila virens (Lamarck) with reference to organogeny. M.Sc., Thesis Annamalai University. Annamalainagar.Google Scholar
- Patten, W. 1886. Embryology of Patella. Arbeiten Zool. Inst. Univ. Wien., 6.Google Scholar
- Ramamoorthi, K. 1955. Studies on the Embryology and Development of some Melaniid snails. J. Zool. Soc. India, 7 (1): 25–34.Google Scholar
- Ranjah, A. R. 1942. Embryology of the Indian apple snail, Pila globosa (Swainson). Rec. Ind. Mus., 27: 97–100.Google Scholar
- Sarasin, P. 1892. Entwicklung der Bithynia tentaculata. Arb. Zool. Inst. Warzberg 6: 1–68.Google Scholar