Adaptive Virtual Impedance of Grid-Tied Inverters to Enhance the Stability in a Weak Grid
- 21 Downloads
In a weak grid, especially with a grid-voltage proportional feedforward controller, the grid-tied inverter tends to interact with the grid impedance and thus suffers from poor power quality and even instability. In order to improve the stability, serial-parallel virtual impedance based on the derivative controllers of grid current and voltage is proposed in this paper. With the aim of optimizing the performance of the inverter for a variety of grid impedance, these derivative coefficients are adaptively tuned by the constraint of a minimum leading phase which is determined by the phase margin and the current tracking response. With this proposed adaptive virtual impedance, the grid-tied inverter can operate stably under a wide variety of grid impedance and voltage harmonic rejection performance is also improved. Simulation and experimental results validate the effectiveness of the proposed method and design methodology.
KeywordsAdaptive control Grid-voltage feedforward Grid-tied inverters Weak grid
This work was supported by the KIEE.
- 2.Midtsund T, Suul JA, Undeland T (2010) Evaluation of current controller performance and stability for voltage source converters connected to a weak grid. In: Proceedings of IEEE power electronic distribution generator system, June 16–18, 2010, pp 382–388Google Scholar
- 3.IEEE Standard for Interconnecting Distributed Resources With Electric Power Systems (2003) IEEE Standard 1547-2003Google Scholar
- 4.Technical Rule for Photovoltaic Power Station Connected to Power Grid (2011) Q/GDW617-2011Google Scholar
- 5.Sun J, Wang Y, Gong J et al (2017) Adaptability of weighted average current control to the weak grid considering the effect of grid-voltage feedforward. In: Applied power electronics conference & exposition. IEEEGoogle Scholar
- 6.Wang J, Song Y, Monti A (2014) A study of feedforward control on stability of grid-parallel inverter with various grid impedance. In: Proceedings of IEEE power electronic distributed generator systems, June 24–27, 2014, pp 1–8Google Scholar
- 7.Qian Q, Ge X, Xie S et al (2016) Improved grid voltage feedforward for strengthening the inverter’s adaptability to utility. In: Power electronics and motion control conference. IEEE, 2016, pp 897–901Google Scholar
- 10.Xu J, Qian Q, Xie S et al (2016) Grid-voltage feedforward based control for grid-connected LCL-filtered inverter with high robustness and low grid current distortion in weak grid. In: Applied power electronics conference and exposition. IEEE, 2016, pp 1919–1925Google Scholar
- 18.Cespedes M, Sun J (2012) Online grid impedance identification for adaptive control of grid-connected inverters. In: Proceedings of IEEE energy conversion congress and exposition, Raleigh, USA, 2012, pp 914–921Google Scholar
- 19.Fei Q, Jianwen L, Yonggang L et al (2014) Research on the responsibility partition of harmonic pollution and harmonic impedance based on the total least-squares regression method. In: International conference on power system technology. IEEEGoogle Scholar