Compact and Narrow-Band Waveguide Dual-Mode Filters for Output Multiplexer in Communication Satellites
- 19 Downloads
Narrow-band waveguide filters are widely employed in the output multiplexer (OMUX) for satellite payloads. Among different available filter technologies for realization of an OMUX, dual-mode waveguide technology is the best choice in terms of compact dimensions. In this paper, three structure of these filters are presented for a design example of a narrow-band filter used for OMUX. The first structure is the conventional dual-mode architecture based on circular waveguide by exploiting two degenerate TE modes with orthogonal polarizations. The second structure is based on the TM dual-mode cavity, such a cavity employs both resonant and nonresonanting modes. Finally, the third structure is a new dual-mode architecture based on the circular cavity with rotated slots, where the cavity exploits TE and TM resonant modes. In this manner, the single cavity provides two poles and single transmission zeros, and is at the same time very compact in the longitudinal direction. Simulation and experimental results of a two-cavity filter with four poles and two transmission zeros demonstrate the feasibility of the approach.
KeywordsDual-mode Waveguide filters Output multiplexer (OMUX) Rotated slots
This research work has been financially supported by East Tehran Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran.
- 2.Latif M, Salfi AU (2015) Design of 5-channel C-band input multiplexer for communication satellite. J Sp Technol 5(1):40–46Google Scholar
- 8.Atia AE, Williams AE (1971) New types of waveguide bandpass filters for satellite transponders. In: COMSAT Tech. Rev., vol 1(1), FallGoogle Scholar
- 9.Bastioli S, Tomassoni C, Sorrentino R (2010) TM dual-mode pseudoelliptic filters using nonresonating modes. In: Microwave symposium digest (MTT), 2010 IEEE MTT-S internationalGoogle Scholar
- 12.Bastioli S, Tomassoni C, Sorrentino R (2010) A new class of waveguide dual-mode filters using TM and nonresonating modes. IEEE Trans Microw Theory Tech 58(12):3909–3917Google Scholar
- 15.Nocella V, Cacciamani F, Tomassoni C, Sorrentino R, Pelliccia L (2014) Dual-band filters based on TM dual-mode cavities. In: Microwave conference (EuMC), 2014 44th European, pp 179–182Google Scholar
- 16.Cameron RJ, Kudsia CM, Mansour RR (2007) Microwave filters for communication systems: fundamentals, design and applications. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar