Combination of Supercapacitor and AC Power Source in Storing and Supplying Energy for Computer Backup Power
This paper presents the charge and discharge combination of the supercapacitors and the AC power source in storing and supplying energy for computer backup power. According to the behavior of storing and supplying energy, the SC can be charged with high currents. Whereas the battery cannot. The supercapacitors efficiency in storing and supplying power at high voltage and low current is 95.20%. An analysis also revealed that the charging time of the supercapacitors is less than 199 s. The combination of the supercapacitors and the battery required 604 s for charging time. The battery alone is the longest at 1080 s. Moreover, the study showed that the discharging time of the supercapacitors and the battery combination was more than 610 s. The discharging time of the battery and the supercapacitors were 285 and 579 s, respectively. Therefore, the combination of the supercapacitors and an AC power source can replace battery in the design of computer backup.
KeywordsSupercapacitors Energy storage Computer backup power
This work was supported by the Asst.Prof. Yuwaluk Wechwittayakhung President of Dhonburi Rajabhat University for support equipment and tools and thank you Division of Energy Technology, School of Energy, Environment and Materials, King Mongkut’s University of Technology Thonburi with make recommendations for publication.
- 4.Chlodnicki Z, Koczara W, Al-Khayat N (2008) Hybrid UPS based on supercapacitor energy storage and adjustable speed generator. Electr Power Qual Utilis J. 14(1):13–24Google Scholar
- 5.Zhang Y, Jiang Z, Yu X (2009) Small-signal modeling and analysis of battery-supercapacitor hybrid energy storage systems. In: IEEE power and energy society general meeting. pp 1–8Google Scholar
- 10.Hwang D-H, Park J-W, Jung J-H (2011) A study on the lifetime comparison for electric double layer capacitors using accelerate degradation test. In: IEEE international conference on Quality, Reliability, Risk, Maintainance, and Safety Engineering. pp 302–307Google Scholar
- 14.Bodnar R, Redman W, White W (2011) A 250 W/30A fast charger for ultracapacitors with direct mains connection. In: University of Southampton. Circuit Theory and Design ConferenceGoogle Scholar
- 22.Van Voorden AM, Elizondo LMR, Paap GC, Verboomen J, Van der Sluis L (2007) The application of supercapacitors to relieve battery storage systems in autonomous renewable energy systems. In: Proceedings of IEEE Power Tech, Lausanne, pp 479–484Google Scholar
- 23.Wang K, Li L, Yin H, Zhang T, Wan W (2015) Thermal Modelling analysis of spiral wound supercapacitor under constant-current cycling. PLoS One 10:1–11Google Scholar
- 28.Lahyani A, Venet P, Troudi A (2011) Design of power-sharing system between supercapacitors and battery in an uninterruptible power supply (UPS). IEEE 33rd International Telecommunication Energy Conference, Amsterdam, pp 9–13Google Scholar
- 31.Stepanov A, Galkin I, Bisenieks L (2007) Implementation of supercapacitors in uninterruptible power supplies”, in Proc. Eur. Conf. Power Electr. Appl, Aalborg, pp 2–5Google Scholar
- 32.Mallika S, Kuma RS (2011) Reniew on ultracapacitor -battery interface for energy management system. Int J Eng Technol 3(1):37–43Google Scholar
- 35.Schroeder JC, Wittig B, Fuchs FW (2010) High efficient battery backup system for lift trucks using interleaved-converter and increased EDLC voltage range. In: IECON 2010—36th annual conference on IEEE industrial electronics society, pp. 2334–2339.Google Scholar