Hardware Implementation of GaN-HEMT Based ZVS DC–DC Converter Considering PCB Layout
- 4 Downloads
The gallium nitride high electron mobility transistors (GaN HEMT) are among the most promising power semiconductor devices. However, these transistors have a small gate voltage margin compared with conventional power devices. In this paper, the gate voltage of GaN HEMTs is mathematically analyzed when it is applied to a zero voltage switching (ZVS) phase-shift full bridge (PSFB) DC–DC converter. The analysis accounts for nonlinear capacitance characteristics under the ZVS switching condition, and a critical parasitic inductance are derived to restrict the gate voltage to a safety operation area. The optimal layout for bridge topologies and gate drivers is proposed, to satisfy the derived parasitic inductance limitation. A 500-W-power laboratory phase-shift full-bridge DC–DC converter is implemented to verify the proposed layout.
KeywordsGaN HEMT Wide bandgap device Switching devices Resonant DC–DC converter PCB layout
This work is supported by the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) grant funded by the Korean Government (NRF-2017R1D1A1B03033140) and Industrial Technology Innovation Program through the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy (MOTIE) (2018201010650A).
- 7.Liu Z (2014) Characterization and failure mode analysis of cascode GaN HEMT. Ms. Dissertation, Dept. Electrical. Eng., Univ. Blacksburg, VirginiaGoogle Scholar
- 13.GaN systems (2018) Design with GaN Enhancement mode HEMT. Appl. note GN001. https://gansystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/GN001-Design_with_GaN_EHEMT_180412.pdf (online)
- 14.Lu J, Bai H, Brown A, McAmmond M, Chen D, Styles J (2016) Design consideration of gate driver circuits and PCB parasitic parameters of paralleled E-mode GaN HEMTs in zero-voltage-switching applications. In: Proc. 31th Annu. IEEE Appl. Power Electron. Conf. Expo. (APEC 2016), Mar. 20–24, pp 529–535Google Scholar
- 15.Mohan N, Robbin WP, Undeland T (1995) Power electronics: converters, applications, and design, 3rd edn. Wiley, New York, pp 583–587Google Scholar
- 16.ON Semiconductor (2013) Active miller clamp technology. Appl. note AN-5073. https://www.fairchildsemi.com/application-notes/AN/AN-5073.pdf (Online)
- 18.Texas Instruments (2013) SIMPLE SWITCHER® PCB layout guidelines. Appl. note AN-1229. http://www.ti.com/lit/an/snva054c/snva054c.pdf (Online)