Simultaneous measurements of two phases using an optical probe
- 54 Downloads
For a detailed characterisation of multiphase flows, a local measurement technique that is capable of quantifying both continuous and dispersed phases has to be employed. In the present study, a new optical probe was tested for its ability to provide simultaneous local measurements of gas and liquid/solid in a three-phase system. The new probe can measure the intensity of light reflection due to the presence of gas or liquid medium surrounding the probe tip in conjunction with the Doppler frequency caused by the approach of a solid particle. The experiments were carried out in a pseudo-2D rectangular column by passing gas bubbles through a stationary liquid with suspended seeding particles. In these experiments, measurements were carried out by using three techniques namely optical probe, particle image velocimetry (PIV), and high-speed imaging (HSI). PIV measurements were used to validate seeding particle velocity obtained using the optical probe, whereas HSI technique was used to validate bubble chord length data from optical probe. The difference between the particle velocity from the probe and PIV was in a range of 13%–20%, w hile the difference between chord length measured by the probe and HSI was within ±8%.
Keywordsexperiments multiphase particle image velocimetry (PIV) optical probe
- A2 Photonic Sensors. 2019. Available at http://www.a2photonicsensors.com/en/index.html.
- Chaouki, J., Larachi, F., Dudukovic, M. 1997. Non-Invasive Monitoring of Multiphase Flows. Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Ferreira, T., Rasband, W. 2012. ImageJ user guide. ImageJ/Fiji, 1: 155–161.Google Scholar
- McGuinn, R. S., Gysling, D. L., Winston, C. R., Davis, A. R., Faustino, J. M. 2002. Non-intrusive fiber optic pressure sensor for measuring unsteady pressures within a pipe. U.S. Patent No. 6,450,037.Google Scholar
- Mota, A., Ferreira, A., Vicente, A. A., Sechet, P., Martins, J. M. F., Teixeira, J. A., Cartellier, A. 2015. Customization of an optical probe device and validation of a signal processing procedure to study gas-liquid-solid flows. Application to a three-phase internal-loop gas-lift bioreactor. Chem Eng Sci, 138: 814–826.Google Scholar
- Wedin, R., Davoust, L., Cartellier, A., Dahlkild, A. 2000. A mono-modal fiber-optices velocimeter for electrochemically generated bubbles. In: Proceedings of the 10th International Symposium on Applications of Laser Techniques to Fluid Dynamics 10–13.Google Scholar
- Wolf, H. A., Walter, R. E., Hofmann, L., Cody, G. D., Storch Jr., G. V. 1993. Non-intrusive flow meter for the liquid based on solid, liquid or gas borne sound. U.S. Patent 5,207,107.Google Scholar