Another species of Quadrastichus (Hymenopera; Eulophidae; Tetrastichinae) attacking Erythrina (Fabaceae) in the Neotropics: a report from Costa Rica
- 23 Downloads
Since the description of Quadrastichus erythrinae (Hymenoptera: Eulophidae: Tetrastichinae) in 2004, this invasive species has been reported in various tropical and subtropical regions, causing damage to several species of coral trees (Erythrina spp.). Here we report the presence of yet another invasive Quadrastichus attacking native and introduced species of Erythrina in Costa Rica. We present morphological evidence that strongly suggests that this species is not Q. erythrinae; rather, the species found in Costa Rica appears to be either Q. bardus or an undescribed species. We call for an urgent international effort to characterize the phytophagous Quadrastichus species associated with Erythrina species from around the world in order to clarify which species are invasive and document where these invasive species are currently known to occur.
KeywordsGalls Quadrastichus Erythrina Coral trees
We would like to thank the anonymous reviewer for the helpful comments and the thorough review of the manuscript.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Etienne J, Dumbardon-Martial E (2013) Quadrastichus erythrinae Kim: un redoutable ravageur pour les érythrines de Guadeloupe et de Martinique (Hymenoptera, Eulophidae, Tetrastichinae). B Soc Entomol Fr 118(2):155–158Google Scholar
- Heraty J, Hawks D (1998) Hexamethyldisilazane – a chemical alternative for drying insects. Entomol News 109:369–374Google Scholar
- Howard FW, Pemberton RW, Liu H (2008) Erythrina gall wasp, Quadrastichus erythrinae (Hymenoptera: Eulophidae) in Florida, and susceptibility of Erythrina herbacea (Fabaceae). P Fl St Hortic Soc 121:363–369Google Scholar
- Kim IK, Delvare G, La Salle J (2004) A new species of Quadrastichus (Hymenoptera: Eulophidae): a gall-inducing pest on Erythrina (Fabaceae). J Hymenopt Res 13(2):243–249Google Scholar
- Medianero E, Zachrisson B (2019) Erythrina gall wasp, Quadrastichus erythrinae Kim, 2004 (Hymenoptera: Eulophidae: Tetrastichinae): a new pest in Central America. BioInvasions Records 8 in pressGoogle Scholar
- Ramirez AE (2012) Aviso de Plaga: Quadrastichus Erythrinae. Departamento de Agricultura, Puerto RicoGoogle Scholar