Recent progress in friction stir welding tools used for steels
Friction stir welding (FSW) technology is being increasingly attractive in welding steels on account of the high-quality weld formation and excellent weld properties. The feasibility of FSW of steels has been convinced for nearly 20 years. However, the application progress for FSW of steels is slower than that of aluminum alloys owing to the high cost and poor usability of tools. The FSW tools are called as the heart of FSW process which is critical for welding quality control and the weld microstructure and properties. The recent progresses in research and development of FSW tools for welding steels have been reviewed. Material selections, geometry parameters, wear behavior and use life of the tools are summarized from the available literatures.
KeywordsFriction stir welding Steel FSW process Tool material Tool design Tool wear behavior
The authors are grateful to the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Nos. 51325401 and U1660201) and the National Magnetic Confinement Fusion Energy Research Project (Grant No. 2015GB119001) for financial support.
- R.J. Steel, J. Peterson, S. Sanderson, P. Higgins, S.M. Packer, in: International Society of Offshore and Polar Engineers, Proceedings of the International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, Rhodes, Greece, 2012, pp. 238–243.Google Scholar
- S. Packer, in: Proceedings of the 1st International Joint Symposium on Joining and Welding, Woodhead Publishing, 2013, pp. 473–476.Google Scholar
- S. Cater, J. Martin, A. Galloway, N. McPherson, in: R. Mishra, M.W. Mahoney, Y. Salo, Y. HOl’anski, R. Verma, Friction Stir Welding and Proceesing VII, Springer, Cham, 2013, pp. 49–58.Google Scholar
- Y. Chen, H. Fujii, T. Tsumura, Y. Kitagawa, K. Nakata, K. Ikeuchi, K. Matsubayashi, Y. Michishita, Y. Fujiya, J. Katoh, Yosetsu Gakkai Ronbunshu/Quarterly Journal of the Japan Welding Society 27 (2009) 85s-88s.Google Scholar
- B. Thompson, S.S. Babu, Weld. J. 89 (2010) 256s-261s.Google Scholar
- B.T. Thompson, J.M. Seaman, M.N. Eff, in: International Society of Offshore and Polar Engineers, Proceedings of the International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, Rhodes, Greece, 2013, pp. 196–201.Google Scholar
- C. Meran, O.E. Canyurt, J. Achievements Mater. Manuf. Eng. 43 (2010) 432–439.Google Scholar
- P. Baillie, A.M. Galloway, S.R. Cater, N.A. McPherson, Int. J. Chem. Nucl. Metall. Mater. Eng. 8 (2014) 651–655.Google Scholar
- E. Almanza-Casas, M.J. Perez-López, R. Steel, S. Packer, in: Proceedings of the International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, International Society of Offshore and Polar Engineers, Rhodes, Greece, 2011, pp. 530–533.Google Scholar
- S. Sanderson, R. Steel, K. Keshevan, C. Roth, S. Packer, P. Higgins, S. Larsen, in: Proceedings of the International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, International Society of Offshore and Polar Engineers, Rhodes, Greece, 2011, pp. 468–471.Google Scholar
- K. Ross, C. Sorensen, in: TMS Annual Meeting, 2009, pp. 327–336.Google Scholar