Three-dimensional flow field simulation of steady flow in the serrated diffusers and nozzles of valveless micro-pumps
- 28 Downloads
This paper presents a three-dimensional flow field simulation of the steady flows through diffusers and nozzles with straight or serrated-sided walls to analyze the effect of the channel structure on the flow characteristics. The pressure and velocity profiles in the diffusers and the nozzles as well as the net volumetric flow rate are determined. Our simulation demonstrates that the pressure and velocity profiles in the serrated diffuser/nozzles are more complicated than those with the straight-sided wall, while the net steady flow rate with the straight-sided wall increases monotonically with the increase of the pressure difference, the steady flow rate with serrated sided walls increases gradually to reach a maximum and then decreases with the increase of the pressure difference. The results suggest that the number of the sawteeth plays a significant role in optimizing the design of serrated diffusers and nozzles for improving the transport efficiency of valveless micro-pumps.
Key wordsValveless micro-pump steady flow diffuser and nozzle serrated-sided wall three-dimensional flow field simulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Yu M., Zheng X. X., Tang H. Y. et al. A microfluidic chip for sperm sorting [J]. Chinese Journal of Hydrodynamics, 2015, 30(6): 612–618(in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Salari A., Dalton C. A novel AC electrothermal micro-pump for biofluid transport using circular interdigitated microelectrode array [C]. Proceedings of SPIE, San Francisco, USA, 2015, 9320.Google Scholar
- Sima A. H., Salari A., Shafii M. B. Low-cost reciprocating electromagnetic-based micropump for high-flow rate applications [J]. Journal of Micro-Nanolithography MEMS and MOEMS, 2015, 14: 0350033.Google Scholar
- Wang T., He J., An C. et al. Study of the vortex based virtual valve micropump [J]. Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 2018, 28: 12500712.Google Scholar
- Wang T., He J., Wang J. J. Numerical and experimental study of valve-less micropump using dynamic multi-physics model [C]. 2018 IEEE 13th Annual International Conference on Nano/Micro Engineered and Molecular Systems(NEMS), Singapore, 2018.Google Scholar
- Zhu K. Q., Xu C. X. Viscous fluid mechanics [M]. Beijing, China: China Higher Education Press, 2009(in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Guan Y. F., Zhang G. X., Yu Z. Y. Fabrication and experiments of piezoelectric micropump with novel saw-tooth microchannels [J]. Nanotechnology and Precision Engineering, 2010, 8(2): 149–155.Google Scholar