Study of photocatalytic and antibacterial activities of graphene oxide nanosheets
- 241 Downloads
Graphene oxide (GO) is a biocompatible material that is easily dispersible in water making its mixing easy with ceramic or polymer matrixes while trying to enhance their properties. In the present study, the photocatalytic and antibacterial activities of GO have been studied. GO has been synthesized by modified Hummer’s method. The synthesized material has been characterized using X-ray diffraction, Raman spectroscopy, high-resolution transmission electron microscopy (HR-TEM), Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FT-IR) and UV-visible spectroscopy. HR-TEM confirmed the formation of GO nanosheets. It has been observed that GO nanosheets with excellent morphology exhibit efficient photocatalytic activity towards Congo red (CR) dye. Using advanced oxidation process, toxic organic dye CR is oxidized through reaction with reactive oxidative species generated by GO photocatalyst under UV-light irradiation. The study reflects new possibilities of GO for degradation of toxic organic pollutants. The effect of GO dose has also been studied and the reaction has been evaluated to be first order. Antibacterial activity of GO has been evaluated via well diffusion assay by growing Escherichia coli and Bacillus on LB agar plates.
KeywordsDye degradation Graphene oxide Photocatalysis Congo red Antibacterial
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 5.Mahdavi H, Kahriz PK, Gholipour-Ranjbar H, Shahalizade T (2017) Synthesis and performance study of amino functionalized graphene aerogel grafted with polyaniline nanofibers as an efficient supercapacitor material. J Mater Sci: Mater Electro 28(5):4295Google Scholar
- 7.Kalaiselvimary J, Prabhu MR (2018) Influence of sulfonated GO/sulfonated biopolymer as polymer electrolyte membrane for fuel cell application. J Mater Sci: Mater Electro 29(7):5525–5535Google Scholar
- 23.Usman MS, Zowalaty ME, Shameli K, Zainuddin N, Salama M, Ibrahim NA (2013) Synthesis, characterization, and antimicrobial properties of copper nanoparticles. Int J Nanomedicine 8:4467Google Scholar
- 29.Chen X, Wang X, Li L, Qi S (2016) Preparation and excellent microwave absorption properties of silver/strontium ferrite/graphite nanosheet composites via sol–gel method. J Mater Sci: Mater Electro 27(10):10045–10051Google Scholar
- 31.Hummers WS Jr, Offeman RE (1958) Preparation of graphitic oxide. J ACS 80(6):1339Google Scholar
- 42.Grainger EM, Kim HS, Monk JP, Lemeshow SA, Gong M, Bahnson RR, Clinton SK (2008) Consumption of dietary supplements and over-the-counter and prescription medications in men participating in the. Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial at an academic center Urol Oncol 26(2):125–132Google Scholar