The relationship between urotensin II and insulin resistance in women with gestational diabetes mellitus
- 23 Downloads
Urotensin II (UII), a pluripotent vasoactive peptide, plays a crucial role in development of insulin resistance. Gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) is a metabolic disorder associated with insulin resistance. The aims of the current study were to compare UII levels in women with or without GDM and to investigate the relationship between UII and insulin resistance in women with GDM.
A total of 84 women were recruited in this case-control study (42 women with GDM and 42 age- and body mass index (BMI)-matched pregnant women without GDM as controls). GDM was diagnosed by a 2-h 75-g oral glucose tolerance test over a period of 24–28 gestational weeks. Circulating UII levels were assessed via the ELISA method. The metabolic parameters of the recruited women were also determined.
The circulating levels of UII in women with GDM were higher than in controls (11.56 ± 4.13 vs. 7.62 ± 3.45 ng/ml, P < 0.001). UII showed a positive correlation with insulin resistance marker (HOMA-IR), fasting blood glucose, and BMI. Moreover, according to the results of multiple linear regression analyses, UII was independently related to HOMA-IR. Additionally, the binary logistic analysis revealed that the women with the highest tertile of UII levels showed increased risk for GDM by comparison with those women with the lowest tertile of UII levels.
Elevated UII levels are associated with insulin resistance in women with GDM.
KeywordsGestational diabetes mellitus Urotensin II Insulin resistance Body mass index
Body mass index
Coefficient of variability
Diastolic blood pressure
Fasting blood glucose
High-density lipoprotein cholesterol
Homeostasis model assessment of insulin resistance
High-sensitivity C-reactive protein
Gestational diabetes mellitus
Low-density lipoprotein cholesterol
Oral glucose tolerance test
Systolic blood pressure
Type 2 diabetes mellitus
Variance inflation factor
M.C., T.A., T.K., and F.B. participated in the study design and T.K. and M.C. performed ELISA. M.C., T.A., T.K., and F.B. participated in the study design, analyzed the data, and wrote, reviewed, and edited the manuscript. M.C., F.B., and T.A. provided serum samples and contributed to discussions of data interpretation. All authors reviewed and edited the manuscript. M.C. is the guarantor of this work and, as such, had full access to all the data in the study and takes responsibility for the integrity of the data and the accuracy of the data analysis.
Compliance with ethical standards
The subjects gave their oral and written informed consent before their inclusion in the study. The study adhered strictly to the principles of the Declaration of Helsinki as revised in 2008.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 2.Metzger BE, Buchanan TA, Coustan DR, de Leiva A, Dunger DB, Hadden DR, Hod M, Kitzmiller JL, Kjos SL, Oats JN, Pettitt DJ, Sacks DA, Zoupas C (2007) Summary and recommendations of the Fifth International Workshop-Conference on Gestational Diabetes Mellitus. Diabetes Care 30(Suppl 2):S251–S260CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Ames RS, Sarau HM, Chambers JK, Willette RN, Aiyar NV, Romanic AM, Louden CS, Foley JJ, Sauermelch CF, Coatney RW, Ao Z, Disa J, Holmes SD, Stadel JM, Martin JD, Liu WS, Glover GI, Wilson S, McNulty DE, Ellis CE, Elshourbagy NA, Shabon U, Trill JJ, Hay DW, Ohlstein EH, Bergsma DJ, Douglas SA (1999) Human urotensin-II is a potent vasoconstrictor and agonist for the orphan receptor GPR14. Nature 401:282–286CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.International Association of Diabetes and Pregnancy Study Groups Consensus Panel, Metzger BE, Gabbe SG, Persson B, Buchanan TA, Catalano PA, Damm P, Dyer AR, de Leiva A, Hod M, Kitzmiler JL, Lowe LP, McIntyre HD, Oats JJN, Omori Y, Schmidt MI (2010) International association of diabetes and pregnancy study groups recommendations on the diagnosis and classification of hyperglycemia in pregnancy. Diabetes Care 33:676–682CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Huristoglu M, Ekiz A, Mete F, Okuturlar Y, Kocoglu H, Dumanli G, Cakirca M, Anataca G, Kuru O, Dogan S, Pehlivan B, Tabak O, Yildirim G, Dogan H, Erismis B (2017) Plasma urotensin II concentration in gestational diabetes. Arch Clin Exp MedGoogle Scholar
- 26.Okumus S, Igci YZ, Taskin T, Oztuzcu S, Gurler B, Eslik Z, Gogebakan B, Coskun E, Erbagci I, Demiryurek S, Cengiz B, Demiryurek AT (2012) Association between Thr21Met and Ser89Asn polymorphisms of the urotensin-II (UTS2) gene, diabetes mellitus, and diabetic retinopathy. Curr Eye Res 37:921–929CrossRefGoogle Scholar