Geriatric-HIV Medicine: the geriatrician’s role
- 17 Downloads
The scenario of people living with HIV has dramatically changed, and nowadays older adults with HIV constitute almost half of the HIV population—and the percentage is growing. Frailty and geriatric syndromes have been highly demonstrated among older adults with HIV; therefore, the application of geriatric medicine principles to their approach has become essential. Geriatric-HIV Medicine, specific, collaborative work between HIV specialists and geriatricians, is a young discipline that has the goal of ensuring a global and specific approach to older patients that is focused on function and the continuum of care. The geriatrician’s role adds value to the care of older people living with HIV through Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment for those patients who can benefit but goes beyond the clinical approach and involves generating scientific evidence that impacts and changes the current model of care.
KeywordsHIV Older adults Geriatric medicine Geriatrician
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
FB has received honoraria for the following: MISP grants from MSD, speaking at symposia organized on behalf of MSD and ViiV Healthcare; developing educational materials for MSD; and board membership from ViiV Healthcare. PR has received honoraria for the following: lectures and advisory boards from AbbVie, Gilead Sciences, Merck Sharp & Dohme, Janssen and ViiV. He has also received a MISP grant from Merck Sharp & Dohme and funding from the CHIME 2018 program from Gilead Sciences and travel grants from Gilead Sciences, Merck Sharp & Dohme and Janssen. JT has received honoraria for the following: lectures from Gilead Sciences, Merck Sharp & Dohme. He has also received travel grants from Gilead Sciences, and Janssen. MSC has received honoraria for the following: speaking at symposia organized on behalf of MSD, ViiV Healthcare and Gilead.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
For this type of study formal consent is not required.
- 2.HIV and aging. UNAIDS. A special supplement to the UNAIDS report on the global AIDS epidemic 2013. http://www.unaids.org/sites/default/files/media_asset/20131101_JC2563_hiv-and-aging_en_0.pdf
- 3.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2014) HIV surveillance report, vol 25. http://www.cdcgov/hiv/pdf/library/reports/surveillance/cdc-hiv-surveillancereport-uspdf. Accessed Nov 2015
- 6.Brañas F, Jiménez Z, Sánchez-Conde M, Dronda F, López-Bernaldo De Quirós JC, Pérez-Elías MJ et al (2017) Frailty and physical function in older HIV-infected adults. Age Ageing 14:1–5Google Scholar
- 18.Shrestha R, Copenhaver M, Bazazi AR, Huedo-Medina TB, Krishnan A, Altice FL (2017) A moderated mediation model of HIV-related stigma, depression, and social support on health-related quality of life among incarcerated malaysian men with HIV and opioid dependence. AIDS Behav 21(4):1059–1069PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) (1998) AIDS among persons aged ≥ 50 years—United States, 1991–1996. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 47:21–27Google Scholar
- 41.Piggott DA, Muzaale AD, Varadhan R, Mehta SH, Westergaard RP, Brown TT et al (2017) Frailty and cause-specific hospitalization among persons aging with HIV infection and injection drug use. J Gerontol Ser A Biol Sci Med Sci 72(3):389–394Google Scholar
- 49.Rees HC, Ianas V, McCracken P, Smith S, Georgescu A, Zangeneh T et al (2013) Measuring frailty in HIV-infected individuals. Identification of frail patients is the first step to amelioration and reversal of frailty. J Vis Exp 24(77):50537Google Scholar
- 55.Zamudio-Rodriguez A, Belaunzaran-Zamudio PF, Sierra-Madero JG, Cuellar-Rodriguez J, Crabtree-Ramirez BE, Alcala-Zermeno JL et al (2018) Association between frailty and HIV-associated neurodegenerative disorders among older adults living with HIV. AIDS Res Hum Retrovir 34(5):449–455CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 61.World Health Organization (2015) World report on ageing and health. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland. http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/186463/9789240694811_eng.pdf;jsessionid=DB5B11EB24ABAA78905DE1E7CE8DF414?sequence=1
- 66.Rich MW, Chyun DA, Skolnick AH, Alexander KP, Forman DE, Kitzman DW et al (2016) Knowledge gaps in cardiovascular care of the older adult population: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association, American College of Cardiology, and American Geriatrics Society. Circulation 133(21):2103–2122CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 68.Leipzig RM, Sauvigne K, Granville LJ, Harper GM, Kirk LM, Levine SA et al (2014) What is a geriatrician? American Geriatrics Society and Association of Directors of Geriatric Academic Programs end-of-training entrustable professional activities for geriatric medicine. J Am Geriatr Soc 62(5):924–929CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 70.Ellis G, Whitehead MA, O’Neill D, Langhorne P, Robinson D (2011) Comprehensive geriatric assessment for older adults admitted to hospital. Cochrane Datab Syst Rev 6(7):CD006211Google Scholar