An improved generalized DNA computing model to simulate logic functions and combinational circuits
- 114 Downloads
In this paper a reusable, generalized, parallel DNA computing model is presented to evaluate any logic function at molecular level. The gate strands designed by this algorithm act both as logic operator and sensor to detect the output. Though this model could be employed to simulate vast range of logic functions but for simplicity of explanation theoretical simulation results of DNA based NAND, NOR, half-adder, full-adder and four-bit carry ripple adder are demonstrated to validate this model. The proposed model relies on the induced hairpin formation property of naphthyridine dimer in a G–G mismatched DNA oligo strand which is integrated with a generalized gate design algorithm. Contribution of this work lies in the inclusion of features like single design strategy for any logic function, uniformity in representation of logic 0 and 1 throughout the simulation process and is cost and implementation effective with parallel processing capacity.
KeywordsDNA DNA computing DNA hairpin Logic gate NAND NOR Full-adder Four-bit carry ripple adder
The authors acknowledge Tezpur University for providing necessary facilities.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors have no conflicts of interest to disclose.
- 1.Feynman R (1960) There’s plenty of room at the bottom. Eng Sci 23(5):22–36Google Scholar
- 3.Ogihara M, Ray A (1998) DNA-based self-propagating algorithm for solving bounded-fan-in Boolean circuit. In: Proceedings of the third conference on genetic programming. Morgan Kaufman Publisher, San Francisco, p 725–730Google Scholar
- 5.Amos M, Dunne P (1997) DNAsimulation of Boolean circuits. Technical report CTAC-97009. Department of Computer Science, University of LiverpoolGoogle Scholar
- 6.Erk K (1999) Simulating Boolean circuits by finite splicing. In: Proceedings of the congress on evolutionary computation, vol 2. IEEE Press, New York, p 1279–1285Google Scholar
- 7.Mulawka JJ, Wasiewicz P, Plucienniczak A (1999) Another logical molecular NAND gate system. In: Proceedings of the seventh international conference on microelectronics for neural, fuzzy and bio-inspired systems. Granada, Spain, p 340–346Google Scholar
- 12.Kadkhoda M, Pouyan AA (2006) A DNA-based simulation model for bounded fan-in Boolean circuits. In: Proceedings of the 10th WSEAS international conference on Computers. World Scientific and Engineering Academy and Society (WSEAS)Google Scholar
- 21.Boruah K, Deka R,Dutta JC (2018) A model to demonstrate the universality of DNA-NAND gate. In: Advances in electronics, communication and computing. Springer, Singapore, p 67–76Google Scholar
- 22.Boruah K, Deka R, Dutta JC (2017) Algorithm to simulate a chemically induced DNA logic gate and Boolean circuit. Curr Trends Biotechnol Pharm 11(2):160–166Google Scholar