“Sleep Well, Sleep on Time” and Insufficient Sleep: A Need for More Research and Public Health Policies
- 16 Downloads
Insufficient sleep has been recognized as a public health epidemic and an adequate sleep is an essential factor for children’s physical, mental, and psychological well-being. There is a growing concern regarding the insufficient duration of sleep among children and adolescents . Insufficient sleep in children leads to a hosts of negative physical and mental outcomes. This includes but not limited to, irritability, inattention, elevated stress, forgetfulness, lack of motivation, learning difficulties, reduction in executive functioning, and poor academic performance. Additionally, sleep deprivation associated with increased screen time and poor dietary habits result in a high prevalence of obesity in children. It can further exacerbate emotional disturbance, increases risk for type-2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM), cardiometabolic dysfunction, anxiety, depression, mood disturbances, which include increased suicidal ideation, and a higher risk of engaging in health risk behaviors [2, 3].
- 1.Owens JA, Weiss MR. Insufficient sleep in adolescents: causes and consequences. Miner Pediatr. 2017;69:326–36.Google Scholar
- 7.Chaput JP, Gray CE, Poitras VJ, Carson V, Gruber R, Olds T, Weiss SK, Connor Gorber S, Kho ME, Sampson M, Belanger K, Eryuzlu S, Callender L, Tremblay MS. Systematic review of the relationships between sleep duration and health indicators in school-aged children and youth. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2016;41(6 Suppl 3):S266–82.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Marx R, Tanner-Smith EE, Davison CM, Ufholz LA, Freeman J, Shankar R, Newton L, Brown RS, Parpia AS, Cozma I, Hendrikx S. Later school start times for supporting the education, health, and well-being of high school students. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017;7:009467.Google Scholar
- 13.https://www.learnreligions.com/islamic-prayer-timings-2003811. Last accessed on 30 Oct 2019.
- 14.https://www.hindujagruti.org/hinduism/waking-up-early-morning-and-following-the-achars-while-still-in-bed. Last accessed on 30 Oct 2019.
- 15.https://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/sikhism/ritesrituals/worship.shtml; Last accessed on 31 Oct 2019.