Sleep Pattern and Sports Performance of Adolescent Archers: A Pre–Post-intervention Pilot Study
Sleep is an important factor for sports performance. Physiological delay in sleep–wake phase and sports training pose adolescent athletes at increased risk of sleep problems. The aim of the study was to observe the sleep pattern and effect of non-pharmacological sleep strategies in adolescent archers.
Fifteen male adolescent archers participated. Sleep measures were recorded using ‘School Sleep Habits Survey’ questionnaire. Awareness of benefits of good sleep on recovery in sports was done for coaches, staff and players. Institution of a sleep consultation and practice of non-pharmacological strategies to improve sleep for players was carried out for a year. Sleep measures and archery scores were analysed.
Sleep pattern showed delayed sleep onset and decreased sleep duration. Post-intervention, total sleep duration increased during weekdays and weekends and sleep onset latency significantly reduced during weekdays (p = 0.008). Archery practice shooting score over the year significantly improved (p = 0.018).
Sleep in adolescent archers showed altered sleep parameters. Self-awareness and sleep hygiene education of coaches and players along with non-pharmacological interventions showed a significant improvement in sleep and archery performance.
Clinical trial registration ID
KeywordsSleep Athletic performance Adolescent Athlete
All athletes, coaches and administrators of Army Sports Institute, Pune, India are acknowledged for their active contribution in the study.
This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
Compliance with Ethical standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 2.Ergen E, Hibner K, editors. Sports medicine and science in archery - II. FITA Medical and Sports Sciences Committee. Turkey: Hacettepe University Hospitals Publishing House; 2008.Google Scholar
- 8.Long-Term Archer Development Model|Archery Canada Tir à l’Arc. http://www.archerycanada.ca/en/ltadm/long-term-archer-development-model. Accessed 10 Aug 2018.
- 11.Carskadon MA. Sleep in adolescents: the perfect storm. Pediatr Clin. 2011;58:637–47.Google Scholar
- 23.Suppiah HT (2017) Adolescent-athlete sleep and sport performance. PhD Thesis.Google Scholar
- 29.The sleep for science program. http://www.sleepforscience.org/. Accessed 17 Aug 2018.
- 32.Rulebook. In: World Archery. https://worldarchery.org/rulebook. Accessed 11 Aug 2018.
- 35.Morin CM. Insomnia: psychological assessment and management. New York: Guilford Press; 1993.Google Scholar
- 37.Watson NF, Martin JL, Wise MS, Carden KA, Kirsch DB, Kristo DA, Malhotra RK, Olson EJ, Ramar K, Rosen IM, Rowley JA, Weaver TE, Chervin RD. Delaying middle school and high school start times promotes student health and performance: an American Academy of Sleep Medicine position statement. J Clin Sleep Med. 2017;13(4):623–5.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 41.Melbourne University Sport. http://www.sport.unimelb.edu.au/eliteathleteprogram. Accessed 18 Aug 2018.