Developments for laser joining with high-quality seam surfaces
- 291 Downloads
The laser beam as a tool in manufacture and assembly not only allows a precise and reproducible joining of components to modules, but also, through innovative approaches, further enables the efficient production of seams with high surface quality, which can be used in parts of the structure that will later be visible to the customer. The Institute of Applied Beam Technology in Bremen (BIAS) presents recent advances in laser welding for light metals and metallic hybrids.
Laser beam joining encompasses laser welding and laser brazing as well as joining processes that have a double character. While laser welding, in the form of deep penetration welding or heat conduction welding with or without filler material, is generally used for the joining of identical — or at least similar — materials, laser brazing (with filler wire) is used both in these cases and when joining dissimilar materials. A special feature of double character laser joining processes that form hybrid joints is that the...
The authors would like to thank the DFG - Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (German research foundation) for funding of the projects “Sichtnahtqualität beim Laserstrahltiefschweißen durch Erzeugung einer Schmelzbadkavität” (VO530/101-1) and “Thermisches Fügen integraler CFK-Metall-Verbindungen” (VO530/46-2, FOR1224) as well as the BMWi and the AiF for the support of the following two IGF projects. The projects IGF 17.430 B and IGF 18.386 N of the “Forschungsvereinigung Schweißen und verwandte Verfahren des DVS, Aachener Straße 172, 40223 Duesseldorf” were supported through the AiF in the framework of the program of support for the Industrielle Gemeinschaftsforschung (IGF) from the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWi) on the basis of a resolution from the German Bundestag. The technical committee FA 6 “Strahlverfahren” of the research association Schweißen und verwandte Verfahren e. V. of the DVS is also thanked for the content-related support of the IGF projects.
- Sander, J.; Reimann, W.: Development of a benchmark criteria for the evaluation of optical surface appearance qualities of brazing and welding connections. 16. European Automotive Laser Applications (EALA), Bad Nauheim (2015)Google Scholar
- Schultz, V.; Seefeld, T.; Vollertsen, F.: Gap bridging ability in laser beam welding of thin aluminum sheets. Proc. Of the 8th International Conference on Photonic Technologies (LANE 2014) Physics Procedia 56, Elsevier Amsterdam, pp. 545–553, 2014Google Scholar
- Vollertsen, F.: Loopless production: Definition and examples from joining. proceedings, 69. IIW Annual Assembly and Int. Conf., Melbourne/Australien (2016)Google Scholar
- Schultz, V.; Cho, W.-I.; Woizeschke, P.; Vollertsen, F.: Laser deep penetration weld seams with high surface quality. Lasers in Manufacturing (LIM17), 2017Google Scholar
- Mittelstädt, C.; Seefeld, T.; Vollertsen, F.: Laserstrahllöten von Mischverbindungen — Neue Anwendungen für den Automobilbau. In: Der Praktiker — Das Magazin für Schweißtechnik und mehr 11 (2015), pp. 512–515Google Scholar
- Mittelstädt, C.; Seefeld, T.: Detecting and utilizing reflected radiation in laser beam brazing. Lasers in Manufacturing (LIM17), 2017Google Scholar