Manufacturing Principles for Z-Pin Reinforced FRP Composite Laminates in the Case of Bolted Joints
- 214 Downloads
Pre-loading of bolted FRP joints leads to creep and relaxation processes. Those effects are causing a continuous pre-load loss. A newly developed production method allows a reduction of these effects by using thin CFRP pins. Those pins reinforce the composite laminate in thickness direction.
Bolted joints are the most common way to connect different materials in constructional design. Combinations of components based on metal and fiber reinforced plastics (FRP) are currently assembled using bolted joints characterized as bearing-type shear joints (SL). Alternatively they have to be realized with auxiliary constructions, e.g. using metallic inserts. SL joints transmit operating loads due to a punctiform or line-shaped surface contact of the bolt to the borehole. Therefore the bolt is decisively stressed by shear loading and the sheets are exposed to bearing stress between the shank of the bolt and the borehole.
The research project (AiF 18811BR) is funded and managed by the Research Association EFB e. V. It is promoted by the consortium of Industrial Research Associations “Otto von Guericke” e. V. (AiF), due to a program for the promotion of industrial collective research and development (IGF) by the German Federal Ministry of Economics and Energy on the basis of a decision of the German Bundestag. We would like to sincerely thank for funding the research project. For the content wise supporting of the project and the provision of material, we would like to thank the companies of the project-accompanying committee.
- Schürmann, H.: Konstruieren mit Faserverbundwerkstoffen, 2. Aufl; Berlin; Springer; 2007Google Scholar
- VDI-Richtlinie 2230 Blatt 1:Systematische Berechnung hochbeansprruchter Schraubenverbindungen - zylindrische Einschraubenverbindungen, Berlin, Beuth, November 2015Google Scholar
- Shivakumar, K.N.; Crews, J.H.: Bolt clampup relaxation in a craphite/epoxy laminate, 1982Google Scholar
- Duchardt, M.: Bewertung des Vorspannkraftverlustes in Schraubenverbindungen unter kombinierter mechanischer und thermischer Beanspruchung, Aachen, Shaker, 2013Google Scholar
- Mouritz, A.P.: Review of z-pinned composite laminates [online]; 2007Google Scholar
- Chang, P.; Mouritz, A.P.; Cox, B.N.: Properties and failure mechanisms of z-pinned laminates in monotonic and cyclic tension [online]; 2006Google Scholar
- Choi, I-H.; Ahn, S.M.; Yeom, C.H.; Hwang, I.H.; Leed, D.S.: Manufacturing of z-pinned composite laminates [online]Google Scholar
- Mouritz, A.P.: Design dilemma for z-pinned composite structures [online]Google Scholar