Truss Structures Made of Carbon-fibre-reinforced Plastic
- 346 Downloads
Truss structures made of carbon-fibre-reinforced polymer (CFRP) stand out for being lightweight and yet still offer excellent mechanical properties. At the Institute for Textile Technology (ITA) at RWTH Aachen University, a CFRP truss structure derived from biological origins was constructed. Using 3-D rotation weaving and a vacuum infusion method resulted in a glass sponge-like, or Euplectella structure.
Truss structures made of carbon-fibre-reinforced plastic (CFRP) have great potential for use in a wide range of lightweight products. They have also established themselves as a rival to conventional steel structures. The current hurdle to overcome for CFRP truss structures are what tend to be complex and thus expensive manufacturing methods .
The term truss refers to a material system comprising multiple interconnected rod members. The points at which the rods connect to each other are known as nodes. Trusses made of metal or wood may feature nodes in the form of joints, welds or...
KeywordsSponge Wind Turbine Fibre Bundle Truss Structure Wind Turbine Tower
- Schuetze, R.: Neue Entwicklungen leichter CFK-Fachwerkstrukturen, VDI-Bericht 1080 1994Google Scholar
- Sayir, M.; Dual, J.; Kaufmann, S.; Mazza, E.: Ingenieurmechanik 1 — Grundlagen und Statik. 3rd edition, Wiesbaden: Springer Vieweg, 2015Google Scholar
- Kim, D.: Fabrication and testing of composite isogrid stiffened cylinder. In: Composite Structures, Vol. 2, Iss. 1, 1999Google Scholar
- IsoTruss: http://www.isotruss.com/manufacturing/, accessed 12/08/2016
- Aizenberg, J.; Weaver, J.; Thanawala, M. et al.: Skeleton of Euplectella sp.: Structural Hierachy from the Nanoscale to the Macroscale. In: Science, 2005, Vol. 309, no. 5732Google Scholar
- Jarass, L.; Obermair, G.; Voigt, W.: Windenergie — Zuverlässige Integration in die Energieversorgung. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag, 2009Google Scholar
- Hau, E.: Windkraftanlagen: Grundlagen, Technik, Einsatz, Wirtschaftlichkeit. 5th edition, Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag, 2014Google Scholar