Coverage Optimization for UAV-Aided Internet of Things with Partial Channel Knowledge
- 17 Downloads
Due to the high maneuverability of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), they have been widely deployed to boost the performance of Internet of Things (IoT). In this paper, to promote the coverage performance of UAV-aided IoT communications, we maximize the minimum average rate of the IoT devices by jointly optimizing the resource allocation strategy and the UAV altitude. Particularly, to depict the practical propagation environment, we take the composite channel model including both the small-scale and the large-scale channel fading into account. Due to the difficulty in acquiring the random small-scale channel fading, we assume that only the large-scale channel sate information is available. On this basis, we formulate an optimization problem, which is not convex and challenging to solve. Then, an efficient iterative algorithm is proposed using block coordinate descent and successive convex optimization tools. Finally, simulation results are presented to demonstrate the significant performance gain of the proposed scheme over existing ones.
Keywordsblock coordinate descent coverage optimization IoT UAVs
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. Giyenko, Y. I. Cho. Intelligent UAV in smart cities using IoT [C]//16th International Conference on Control, Automation and Systems, Gyeongju, 2016: 207–210.Google Scholar
- S. Arabi, H. Elbiaze, E. Sabir, et al. Tradeoffs for data collection and wireless energy transfer dilemma in IoT environments [C]//IEEE International Conference on Communications, Kansas City, MO, 2018: 1–6.Google Scholar
- M. M. Azari, F. Rosas, K. Chen, et al. Joint sum-rate and power gain analysis of an aerial base station [C]//IEEE Globecom Workshops, Washington, DC, 2016: 1–6.Google Scholar
- S. Eom, H. Lee, J. Park, et al. UAV-aided wireless communication design with propulsion energy constraint [C]//2018 IEEE International Conference on Communications, Kansas City, MO, 2018: 1–6.Google Scholar
- W. Feng, J. Wang, Y. Chen, et al. UAV-aided MIMO communications for 5G Internet of Things [J]. IEEE Internet of Things Journal, to appear, 2018.Google Scholar
- W. Feng, N. Ge, J. Lu. Coordinated satellite-terrestrial networks: A robust spectrum sharing perspective [C]//26th Wireless and Optical Communication Conference, Newark, New Jersey, USA, 2017: 1–5.Google Scholar