Response to Forum Comments on “The Archaeology of Machinic Consumerism: The Logistics of the Factory Floor in Everyday Life”
- 18 Downloads
I am lucky to have my colleagues, Paul Mullins and LouAnn Wurst, as my commenters and Chris Matthews as managing editor. I could not have written this article without their years of scholarship upon which to build. Moreover, their insightful and collegial responses throughout its writing continuously pushed me to refocus and clarify my arguments and my goals. Doing the fieldwork for this study, I found plastic, Depression glass, and radio vacuum tubes, rather than the ceramic and bottle assemblages I expected. It was an article LouAnn Wurst wrote with Randall McGuire (“Immaculate Consumption: A Critique of the ‘Shop till You Drop’ School of Human Behavior,” Wurst and McGuire ) that reminded me of its importance, not as the end of archaeological history, but as the beginnings of the present. Otherwise, I might have discarded all this waste as “too recent” for archaeological analysis.
Each commenter makes a case for expanding particular aspects of my case study. In their...
- Benjamin, Walter 1970 Illuminations. Schocken, New York, NY.Google Scholar
- Chibber, Vivek 2013 Postcolonial Theory and the Specter of Capital. Verso, London, UK.Google Scholar
- Davidson, Adam 2012 The Empire of In-Between, 2 November. The New York Times Magazine, The New York Times <https://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/04/magazine/amtrak-industrial-corridor.html>. Accessed 23 June 2014.
- Deleuze, Gilles, and Felix Guattari 2009 Anti-Oedipus: Capitalism and Schizophrenia. Penguin, New York, NY.Google Scholar
- Dujarier, Marie-Anne 2008 Le travail du consommateur (The labor of the consumer). Editions La Découverte, Paris, France.Google Scholar
- Horkheimer, Max 2005 The Jews and Europe. In The Frankfurt School on Religion: Key Writings by the Major Thinkers, Eduardo Mendieta, editor, pp. 225–241. Routledge, New York, NY.Google Scholar
- Klein, Naomi 2007 The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism. Picador, New York, NY.Google Scholar
- Lazzarato, Maurizio 2014 Signs and Machines. Semiotext(e), Cambridge, MA.Google Scholar
- Lazzarato, Maurizio 2015 Governing by Debt. Semiotext(e), Cambridge, MA.Google Scholar
- Leone, Mark P., and Paul Shackel 1987 Forks, Clocks, and Power. In Mirror and Metaphor, Daniel J. Ingersoll and Gordon R. Bronitski, editors, pp. 45–61. University Press of America, Lanham, MD.Google Scholar
- Majumdar, Nivedita 2017 Silencing the Subaltern. Catalyst 1(1). Catalyst <https://catalyst-journal.com/vol1/no1/silencing-the-subaltern. Accessed 23 June 2017.
- Marx, Karl 1978 Grundrisse––Outlines of the Critique of Political Economy. In The Marx-Engels Reader, 2nd edition, Robert C. Tucker, translator. W. W. Norton & Company, New York, NY.Google Scholar
- Milkman, Ruth 1988 David Montgomery’s The Fall of the House of Labor: A Roundtable Discussion. Radical History Review 40:87–94Google Scholar
- Palus, Matthew, Mark P. Leone, and Matthew D. Cochran 2006 Critical Archaeology: Politics Past and Present. In Historical Archaeology, Martin Hall and Stephen W. Silliman, editors, pp. 85–104. Blackwell, Malden, MA.Google Scholar
- Pezzarossi, Guido  Rethinking the Archaeology of Capitalism: Coercion, Violence, and the Politics of Accumulation. Historical Archaeology 53.Google Scholar
- Roller, Michael 2015 Migration, Modernity and Memory: The Archaeology of the Twentieth Century in a Northeast Pennsylvania Coal Company Town, 1897–2014. Doctoral dissertation, Department of Anthropology, University of Maryland, College Park. University Microfilms International, Ann Arbor, MI.Google Scholar
- Roller, Michael 2018 An Archaeology of Structural Violence: Life in a Twentieth-Century Coal Town. University Press of Florida, Gainesville.Google Scholar
- Shackel, Paul A. 1993 Personal Discipline and Material Culture. University of Tennessee Press, Knoxville.Google Scholar
- Wurst, LouAnn, and Stephen A. Mrozowski 2014 Toward an Archaeology of the Future. In Studying History Backwards, LouAnn Wurst and Stephen A. Mrozowski, editors. Thematic issue, International Journal of Historical Archaeology 18(2):210–223.Google Scholar