Antibacterial effect of using the Er:YAG laser or Er,Cr:YSGG laser compared to conventional instrumentation method—a literature review
- 601 Downloads
Although many studies have evaluated the effectiveness of the Er:YAG laser or Er,Cr:YSGG laser as an adjunct to initial periodontal therapy, there was no literature review after 2007 on the antibacterial effect of erbium lasers and conventional periodontal instruments.
The aim of this review was to evaluate the effectiveness of using Er:YAG laser or Er,Cr:YSGG laser on the reduction of bacteria causing the periodontal disease in comparison to that with the hand, sonic, or ultrasonic scaling devices.
Material and methods
This is a review based on the literature search in PubMed and Google Scholar. The search is limited to publications in the period between January 2007 and April 2017, in the English language.
Fourteen publications were found to be appropriate to the inclusion criteria of this review and screened according to the research question: is there a difference in the effect on the bacteria causing the periodontal disease by using Er:YAG laser or Er,Cr:YSGG laser in comparison to that with the hand, sonic, and ultrasonic scaling devices?
The beneficial effects of the erbium lasers as an adjunct to SRP have been established. By using the erbium lasers as an adjunctive therapy to the SRP, the users can have better antibacterial effects than conventional methods.
KeywordsEr:YAG laser Er,Cr:YSGG laser Nonsurgical periodontal therapy Root surface debridement Periodontitis therapy Ultrasonic periodontal instrumentation
- 2.Haps S, Slot D, Berchier C, Van der Weijden G (2008) The effect of cetylpyridinium chloride-containing mouth rinses as adjuncts to toothbrushing on plaque and parameters of gingival inflammation: a systematic review. Int J Dent Hyg 6(4):290–303. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1601-5037.2008.00344.x CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Ioannou I, Dimitriadis N, Papadimitriou K, Sakellari D, Vouros I, Konstantinidis A (2009) Hand instrumentation versus ultrasonic debridement in the treatment of chronic periodontitis: a randomized clinical and microbiological trial. J Clin Periodontol 36(2):132–141. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.2008.01347.x CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Lopes BM, Theodoro LH, Melo RF, Thompson GM, Marcantonio RA (2010) Clinical and microbiologic follow-up evaluations after non-surgical periodontal treatment with erbium:YAG laser and scaling and root planing. J Periodontol 81(5):682–691. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2010.090300 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Domínguez A, Gómez C, García-Kass AI, García-Nuñez JA (2010) IL-1β, TNF-α, total antioxidative status and microbiological findings in chronic periodontitis treated with fluorescence-controlled Er: YAG laser radiation. Lasers Surg Med 42(1):24–31. https://doi.org/10.1002/lsm.20873 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Akiyama F, Aoki A, Miura-Uchiyama M, Sasaki KM, Ichinose S, Umeda M, Ishikawa I, Izumi Y (2011) In vitro studies of the ablation mechanism of periodontopathic bacteria and decontamination effect on periodontally diseased root surfaces by erbium:yttrium-aluminum-garnet laser. Lasers Med Sci 26(2):193–204. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10103-010-0763-3 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Komatsu Y, Morozumi T, Abe D, Okada M, Nakasone N, Okuda K, Yoshie H (2012) Effects of erbium-doped: yttrium aluminum garnet (Er: YAG) laser on bacteremia due to scaling and root planing. J Lasers Med Sci 3(4):175Google Scholar
- 13.Yılmaz S, Algan S, Gursoy H, Noyan U, Kuru BE, Kadir T (2013) Evaluation of the clinical and antimicrobial effects of the Er: YAG laser or topical gaseous ozone as adjuncts to initial periodontal therapy. Photomed Laser Surg 31(6):293–298. https://doi.org/10.1089/pho.2012.3379 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Yaneva B, Firkova E, Karaslavova E (2014) Early clinical effectiveness of Er: Yag laser in association with the red complex of bacteria in the initial treatment of moderate chronic periodontitis. Acta Med Bulg 41(1):37–44Google Scholar
- 15.Yaneva B, Firkova E, Karaslavova E, Romanos GE (2014) Bactericidal effects of using a fiber-less Er:YAG laser system for treatment of moderate chronic periodontitis: preliminary results. Quintessence Int (Berlin, Germany: 1985) 45(6):489–497. https://doi.org/10.3290/j.qi.a31803
- 18.Milne TJ, Coates DE, Leichter JW, Soo L, Williams SM, Seymour GJ, Cullinan MP (2016) Periodontopathogen levels following the use of an Er:YAG laser in the treatment of chronic periodontitis. Aust Dent J 61(1):35–44. https://doi.org/10.1111/adj.12306
- 25.Ando Y, Aoki A, Watanabe H, Ishikawa I (1996) Bactericidal effect of erbium YAG laser on periodontopathic bacteria. Lasers Surg Med 19(2):190–200. https://doi.org/10.1002/(sici)1096-9101(1996)19:2<190::aid-lsm11>3.0.co;2-b CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar