Extrusion process of 304L H-shaped stainless steel used in passive residual heat removal heat exchanger
- 11 Downloads
304L H-shaped stainless steel is used as the support frame of the passive residual heat removal heat exchanger (PRHR HX) in a nuclear fission reactor. The extrusion process is adopted to manufacture the 304L H-shaped stainless steel. Finite element method simulation is herein used to analyze metal flow characteristics, optimize the extrusion die, and predict the extrusion force at different temperatures and speeds. A Φ400-mm container and Φ388-mm forging billet are selected, and the 304L H-shaped stainless steel is successfully manufactured using a Germany SMS 60 MN horizontal extruder. The mechanical properties and microstructure of the manufactured 304L H-shaped stainless steel meet the requirements of the PRHR HX, and the surfaces of the product pass the dye penetration test. The H-shaped stainless steels are used in Haiyang nuclear power plant in Shandong Province.
KeywordsPRHR HX Support frame Extrusion process 304L H-shaped stainless steel
The research presented in this paper is partially funded by the Stainless steel tube branch company, Taiyuan Iron & Steel (Group) CO. LTD. The 304L stainless billet and extrusion productive experiment condition are provided by them. The authors also thank laboratory engineer Xiao-Wen Zhang for his assistance in conducting the tensile tests and metallographic test at the Technology Center Laboratory, Taiyuan Iron & Steel (Group) CO. LTD.
- 5.W. Karlsen, G. Diego, B. Devrient, Localized deformation as a key precursor to initiation of intergranular stress corrosion cracking of austenitic stainless steels employed in nuclear power plants. J. Nucl. Mater. 406, 138–151 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnucmat.2010.01.029 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Y.H. Zhang, D.G. Lu, Z.Y. Wang et al., Experimental investigation on pool-boiling of C-shape heat exchanger bundle used in PRHR HX. Appl. Therm. Eng. 114, 186–195 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2016.11.185 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Z.F. Cai, J.M. Zhao, P. Zhao et al., Manufacture of W-shaped stainless steel and square shaped stainless steel to be used as the support for AP1000 passive residual heat removal heat exchanger. China Nucl. Power 7, 240–244 (2014). (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- 10.L. Wang, X.J. Xu, The welding for AP1000 passive residual heat removal heat exchanger. Boiler Manuf. 6, 39–42 (2015). (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- 11.L. Wang, Analysis of the key manufacturing process for AP1000 china-made passive residual heat removal heat exchanger. Press. Vessel Technol. 29, 39–42 (2012). (in Chinese) Google Scholar