Energy loss of degrader in SC200 proton therapy facility
- 20 Downloads
The proton beam energy determines the range of particles and thus where the dose is deposited. According to the depth of tumors, an energy degrader is needed to modulate the proton beam energy in proton therapy facilities based on cyclotrons, because the energy of beam extracted from the cyclotron is fixed. The energy loss was simulated for the graphite degrader used in the beamline at the superconducting cyclotron of 200 MeV in Hefei (SC200). After adjusting the mean excitation energy of the graphite used in the degrader to 76 eV, we observed an accurate match between the simulations and measurements. We also simulated the energy spread of the degraded beam and the transmission of the degrader using theoretical formulae. The results agree well with the Monte Carlo simulation.
KeywordsDegrader Energy loss Mean excitation energy Energy spread Transmission
The authors are grateful for the financial support from Hefei CAS Ion Medical and Technical Devices Co., Ltd.
- 2.W.P. Jones, G.P.A. Berg, Design of a beam transport system for a proton radiation therapy facility, in Particle Accelerator Conference, 1999. Proceedings of the. IEEE, vol. 4, 1999, pp. 2519–2521. https://doi.org/10.1109/pac.1999.792752
- 3.J.B. Flanz, F. Gerardi, E.L. Hubbard, Design considerations for a proton therapy beamline with an energy degrader, in Fourteenth International Conference on the Application of Accelerators in Research & Industry (American Institute of Physics, 1997), pp. 1257–1260. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.52693
- 4.G. Karamysheva, Y. Bi, G. Chen, et al., Compact superconducting cyclotron SC200 for proton therapy, in Proceedings of Cyclotrons 2016, Zurich, Switzerland, September 2016Google Scholar
- 9.E.W. Cascio, S. Sarkar, A continuously variable water beam degrader for the radiation test beamline at the Francis H. Burr Proton Therapy Center, in 2007 IEEE Radiation Effects Data Workshop, 2007, pp. 30–33. https://doi.org/10.1109/redw.2007.4342536
- 10.J.A. Brennsæter, The Influence of the Energy Degrader Material for a Therapeutical Proton Beam, 2015Google Scholar
- 12.D.E. Groom, Energy loss in matter by heavy particles. Particle Data Group Notes, PDG-93-06Google Scholar