Population dynamics of stink bugs (Heteroptera: Pentatomidae) associated at various soybean phenological stages
- 49 Downloads
The populations of phytophagous stink bugs may vary with cultivar and crop management. The aim of this study was to know the population dynamics of stink bugs Euschistus heros, Nezara viridula, and Piezodorus guildinii at different soybean phenological stages. Samples of each stink bug species were done in three soybean (Syn1059, P97R01, and M7110IPRO) cultivars conducted in two seasons. For three cultivars and two seasons, E. heros was the most abundant, followed by P. guildinii and N. viridula. The soybean phenology influenced stink bug population dynamics, mainly in the inflorescence emergence, flowering, development of fruits and seeds, and ripening of fruits and seeds stages. For soybean cultivars, Syn1059 and M7110IPRO were high colonized by stink bugs, while colonization in P97R01 was low suggesting susceptible differences between cultivars. The relationship between stink bug populations and soybean phenology can provide information to monitoring pest populations during these stages.
KeywordsInsect pest Plant–insect interactions Population dynamics Soybean pest
To Brazilian agencies “Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa de Minas Gerais” (FAPEMIG) and “Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior” (CAPES) for financial support, and Young Professor Grant Program by Dupont International Stock Exchange for technical support.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The author declares no conflict of interest.
- Bortolotto OC, Pomari-Fernandes A, Bueno RDF, Bueno ADF, Queiroz A, Sanzovo A, Ferreira R (2015) The use of soybean integrated pest management in Brazil: a review. Embrapa Soja-Artigo em periódico indexado (ALICE) Agron Sci Biotechnol 1(1):25–32Google Scholar
- da Graça JP, Ueda TE, Janegitz T, Vieira SS, Salvador MC, de Oliveira MCN, Zingaretti SM, Powers SJ, Pickett JA, Birkett MA, Hoffmann-Campo CB (2016) The natural plant stress elicitor cis-jasmone causes cultivar-dependent reduction in growth of the stink bug, Euschistus heros and associated changes in flavonoid concentrations in soybean, Glycine max. Phytochemistry 131:84–91CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fonseca PRB, Fernandes MG, Justiniano W, Cavada LH, Silva JAN (2014) Spatial distribution of adults and nymphs of Euschistus heros (F) (Hemiptera: Pentatomidae) on Bt and non-Bt Soybean. J Agron Sci 6:131–142Google Scholar
- Justiniano W, Fernandes MG, Viana CLTP (2014) Diversity, composition and population dynamics of arthropods in the genetically modified soybeans Roundup Ready® RR1 (GT 40-3-2) and Intacta RR2 PRO® (MON87701 x MON89788). J Agron Sci 6:33–44Google Scholar
- Marsaro Júnior AL, Pereira PRS, Silva WR, Griffel SCP (2010) Flutuação populacional de insetos-praga na cultura da soja no estado de Roraima. Rev Acad 8:71–76Google Scholar