Occurrence of Pterois miles in the Island of Kefalonia (Greece): the Northernmost Dispersal Record in the Mediterranean Sea
- 12 Downloads
Pterois miles (Bennett, 1828) is one of the worst aquatic invaders in history and its rapid dispersal in the Mediterranean Sea raise serious concerns for local biomes. On April 2019, one adult specimen was caught by gillnets close to the shoreline of the island of Kefalonia, Greece. This occurrence, confirmed by DNA barcoding, represents the northernmost record of the species in the Mediterranean Sea, up today, suggesting that the Ionian Sea corridor facilitates fast dispersal of ecological versatile species such as P. miles to higher latitudes.
KeywordsDevil firefish Pterois miles Northward dispersal Kefalonia island Mediterranean Sea
We thank the fisherman Dionysis Stefanatos for provision of the specimen.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
On behalf of all authors, the corresponding author states that there is no conflict of interest.
- Allen GR, Erdmann MV (2008) Pterois andover, a new species of scorpionfish (Pisces: Scorpaenidae) from Indonesia and Papua New Guinea. Aqua, Int J Ichthyol, 13(3–4):127–138Google Scholar
- Bariche M, Kleitou P, Kalogirou S, Bernardi G (2017) Genetics reveal the identity and origin of the lionfish invasion in the Mediterranean Sea. Sci Rep 7(6782). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-017-07326-1
- Crocetta F, Agius D, Balistreri P, Bariche M, Bayhan Y, Çakir M, Ciriaco S, Corsini-Foka M, Deidun A, El Zrelli R, Ergüden D, Evans J, Ghelia M, Giavasi M, Kleitou P, Kondylatos G, Lipej L, Mifsud C, Özvarol Y, Pagano A, Portelli P, Poursanidis D, Rabaoui L, Schembri P, Taşkin E, Tiralongo F, Zenetos A (2015) New Mediterranean Biodiversity Records (October 2015). Mediterr Mar Sci 16(3):682–702CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dailianis T, Akyol O, Babali N, Bariche M, Crocetta F, Gerovasileiou V, Chanem R, Gökoğlu M, Hasiotis T, Izquierdo-Muñoz A, Julian D, Katsanevakis S, Lipez L, Mancini E, Mytilineou C, Ounifi Ben Amor K, Özgül A, Ragkousis M, Rubio-Portillo E, Servello G, Sini K, Stamouli C, Sterioti A, Teker S, Tiralongo F, Trkov D (2016) New mediterranean biodiversity records (July 2016). Mediterr Mar Sci 17(2):608–626CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- ELNAIS (2018) Ellenic Network on Aquatic Invasive Species. https://elnais.hcmr.gr/news/. Accessed 5 May 2019
- Froese R, Pauly D (eds) (2019) FishBase. [Version 02/2019] www.fishbase.org. Accessed 5 May 2019
- Poursanidis D (2015) Ecological Niche Modelling of the invasive lionfish Pterois miles (Bennett, 1828) in the Mediterranean Sea. Proceedings of the 11th Panhellenic Symposium on Oceanography and Fisheries, Mytilene, Lesvos island, Greece, 13th–15th May 2015, pp 621–624Google Scholar
- Ratnasingham S, Hebert PDN (2007) BOLD: the barcode of life data system (http://www.barcodinglife.org). Mol Ecol Notes 7:355–364
- Schofield P, Morris Jr J, Langston J, Fuller P (2015) Pterois volitans/miles FactSheet. USGS nonindigenous aquatic species database [online], Gainesville, FL. https://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.aspx?speciesID=963. Accessed 5 May 2019
- Spinos E, Vavasis C, Simotas G, Konstantinidis E, Kondylatos G, Perdikaris C (2016) Recent records of invasive alien and range expanding species in the coastal zone of Kefalonia and Ithaca islands, Greece. Proceedings of the 16th Panhellenic Congress of Ichthyologists, Kavala, Greece, 6th–9th October 2016, pp 173–176 (in Greek with English abstract)Google Scholar
- Theodorou JA, Govios I, Spinos E Moutopoulos D, Katselis G, Perdikaris C, Konstantinidis E (2019) Case from invasion to commercial exploitation in Greek water: Brown shrimp (P. aztecus), pearl oyster (P. imbricata radiata), blue crab (C. sapidus), red sea bream (P. major). Presentation to Sub-regional committee for the Eastern Mediterranean (SRC-EM) FAO-HQm, Rome, Italy, 18th–19th March 2019Google Scholar
- Turan C, Ergüden D, Gürlek M, Yağlıoğlu D, Uyan A, Uygur N (2014) First record of the Indo-Pacific lionfish Pterois miles (Bennett, 1828) (Osteichthyes: Scorpaenidae) for the Turkish marine waters. J Black Sea/Mediterr Environ 20(2):158–163Google Scholar
- Turan C, Öztürk B (2015) First record of the lionfish Pterois miles from the Aegean Sea. J Black Sea/Mediterr Environ 21(3):334–338Google Scholar
- Turan C, Uygur N, İğde M (2017) Lionfishes Pterois miles and Pterois volitans in the North-eastern Mediterranean Sea: Distribution, habitation, predation and predators. Nat Eng Sci 2(1):35–43Google Scholar
- Yapıcı S (2018) Piscis non grata in the Mediterranean Sea: Pterois miles (Bennett, 1828). Ege J Fish Aquatic Sci 35(4):467–474Google Scholar