Removal of Nitrophenols from wastewater by monoclinic CuO/RGO nanocomposite
- 16 Downloads
The copper oxide/reduced graphene oxide (CuO/RGO) nanocomposite (NC) was synthesized via simple and green hydrothermal method. The prepared NC was characterized by XRD, SEM, EDS, FTIR and UV-DRS for structural and morphological studies. The experimental results proved that pure nanocomposite is formed by the hydrothermal route. The FTIR spectra of prepared composite reveal the observed three peaks at 600–400 cm−1, confirming the formation of composite is monoclinic CuO. The photocatalytic activity of synthesized NC was tested by degradation of ortho and para nitrophenols (NP) under visible light illumination. The CuO/RGO NC served as visible photo-driven catalyst for degradation of both ortho and para nitrophenols in 120 and 180 min, respectively; this may be due to lower bandgap of CuO nanoparticles in NC by the addition of RGO.
KeywordsCuO/RGO Hydrothermal Photocatalysis Nitrophenol Visible light
The author Sathish Mohan Botsa expressed his gratitude to University Grants Commission (UGC), Delhi, for providing Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship (RGNF-SC–2016-17-AND-9309).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors clearly declared that there is no conflict of interest.
- 2.Ravi K, Sathish Mohan B, Satya Sree G, Manga Raju I, Basavaiah K, Venkateswara Rao B (2018) ZnO/RGO nanocomposite via hydrothermal route for photocatalytic degradation of dyes in presence of visible light. Int J Chem Stud 6(6):20–26Google Scholar
- 20.Botsa Sathish Mohan, Dharmasoth Ramadevi, Basavaiah Keloth (2018) Facile sonochemical assisted synthesis of Cu2O and CuO nanoparticles. Curr Nanosci 15:1–5Google Scholar
- 22.Muhamad EN, Irmawati R, Abdullah AH, Taufiq-Yap Y, Hamid SBA (2007) Effect of number of washing on the characteristics of copper oxide nanopowders. Malays J Anal Sci 11(1):294–301Google Scholar
- 23.Jagadeesh Babu M, Sathish Mohan B, Balaji Anjaneyulu R, Sailaja Lakshmi ChC, Muralikrishna R (2018) Hydrothermal assisted synthesis of FeWO4 for degradation of 2-nitrophenol under visible light illumination. IJSRST 4(2):417–422Google Scholar
- 24.Anjaneyulu RB, Mohan BS, Naidu GP, Babu MJ, Rani SJ, Muralikrishna R (2018) Wastewater disinfection by insitu hydrothermal synthesis of rgo supported MoO3/Fe2O3 ternary nanocomposite. World J Pharm Res 7(3):1260–1277Google Scholar