Regional Integration and the Neo-functionalist Model: The Brexit Narrative
- 33 Downloads
The socio-economic and political advantages derived as benefits of the integrative project have been the justification for most integrative initiatives. This has also made regional integration a major phenomenon in international relations, both as a field of study and as a sphere of actual relation. Many theories are paraded in scholarly circles explaining the rationale and process of the integrative project. However, little attention is paid to the fact that, on the continuum of integration, retrogression and disengagement is possible as social realities unfold. Using archival research method, the work examines the relevance of the neo-functional model in explaining recent trends on integration, using Brexit as a case study. It contends that the neo-functionalist model still holds analytical purchase in approximating contemporary trends of integration.
KeywordsBrexit Neo-functionalism Regional integration Regional disintegration Spill-over Spill-back
- BBC. 2016. “EU referendum: The result in maps and charts.” BBC.COM. 24 June. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36616028. Accessed 29 Aug 2018.
- Beddoes, Zanny. Minton. 2016. The Brexit briefs: Our guide to Britain’s EU referendum. Edited by Z.M Beddoes. June. https://www.economist.com/sites/default/files/EconomistBrexitBriefs16.pdf. Accessed 21 Dec 2016.
- Brown, Tony. 2015. Brexit: The ‘Leave’ Narrative. http://www.iiea.com/ftp/Publications/2015/Brexit-The-Leave-Narrative.pdf. Accessed 19 Dec 2016.
- Gehring, Thomas. 1996. Integrating Integration Theory: Neo-functionalism and International Regimes. Global Security 10(3). https://www.uni-bamberg.de/fileadmin/uni/fakultaeten/sowi_professuren/politikwissenschaft_insb_int/Dateien/Mitarbeiter/Publikationen_Texterkennung/IntegratingIntegration_text.pdf.Accessed 12 Jan 2017.
- Haas, B. Ernst. 1958. The Uniting of Europe: Political, Social and Economic Forces 1950–1957. Stanford: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- Hindley, Brian, and Martin Howe. 2001. Better Off Out? The Benefits or Costs of EU Membership. London: Institute of Economic Affairs.Google Scholar
- Hooghe, Lisbet, and Gary Mark. 2005. The Neofunctionalists Were (almost) Right: Politicization and European Integration. https://www.wiso.uni-hamburg.de/fileadmin/sowi/politik/governance/ConWeb_Papers/conweb5-2005.pdf. Accessed 17 Dec 2016.
- Hunt, Alex, and Brian Wheeler. 2016. Brexit: All you need to know about the UK leaving the EU. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-32810887. Accessed 21 Jan Nov.
- Laursen, Robert. 2008. Theory and Practise of Regional Integration. Jean Monnet/Robert Schuman Paper Series, February. http://aei.pitt.edu/8219/1/LaursenLongSympos08RegIntegedi.pdf. Accessed 16 Dec 2016.
- Lindberg, Leon. N. 1963. The Political Dynamics of European Economic Integration. Stanford: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- McGowan, Lee. 2007. “Theorising European Integration: revisiting neofunctionalism and testing its suitability for explaning the development of EC competition policy?” European Integration Online papers 11. http://eiop.or.at/eiop/pdf/2007-003.pdf. Accessed 18 Dec 2016.
- Ozen, Cinar. 1998. NEO-FUNCTIONALISM AND THE CHANGE IN THE DYNAMICS OF TURKEY-EU RELATIONS. Journal of International Affairs III (3). http://sam.gov.tr/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/CinarOzen.pdf. Accessed 22 Dec 2016.
- Park, Donghyun, and Ruiz Estrada. 2010. A New Multi-Dimensional Framework for Analyzing Regional Integration: Regional Integration Evaluation (RIE) Methodology. ADB Working paper series on Regional Economic Integration, May. https://aric.adb.org/pdf/workingpaper/WP49_Multi_Dimensional_Framework.pdf. Accessed 1 Mar 2017.
- Peter, Lamb. 2018. Harold Laski’s International Functionalism: A Socialist Challenge to Federalism. The International History Review 1: 1–23.Google Scholar
- Squires, Nick. 2016. More countries could follow UK out of the EU, says German finance ministry, as European leaders warn radical reform is needed, 25 June. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/25/european-leaders-fear-brexit-vote-could-herald-eu-collapse-unles/. Accessed 11 Jan 2016.
- Sully, Melanie. 2016. The Brexit Drama—final curtain or prelude. 7 6. http://oegfe.at/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/OEGfE_Policy_Brief-2016.18.pdf. Accessed 1 Dec 2016.
- Vollaard, Hans. 2008. A theory of European disintegration. Fourth Pan-European Conference on EU Politics. Riga: University of Lativa. http://www.jhubc.it/ecpr-riga/virtualpaperroom/017.pdf. Accessed 18 Dec 2016.