Automated pebble mosaic stylization of images
- 27 Downloads
Digital mosaics have usually used regular tiles, simulating historical tessellated mosaics. In this paper, we present a method for synthesizing pebble mosaics, a historical mosaic style in which the tiles are rounded pebbles. We address both the tiling problem, of distributing pebbles over the image plane so as to approximate the input image content, and the problem of geometry, creating a smooth rounded shape for each pebble. We adopt simple linear iterative clustering (SLIC) to obtain elongated tiles conforming to image content, and smooth the resulting irregular shapes into shapes resembling pebble cross-sections. Then, we create an interior and exterior contour for each pebble and solve a Laplace equation over the region between them to obtain height-field geometry. The resulting pebble set approximates the input image while representing full geometry that can be rendered and textured for a highly detailed representation of a pebble mosaic.
Keywordsnon-photorealistic rendering digital mosaics image stylization segmentation image processing
We would like to thank the anonymous reviewers for many insightful comments. We also thank members of the Graphics, Imaging and Games Lab for productive comments and discussions. Funding for this work was provided by NSERC, OGS, and Carleton University.
We used many images from Flickr under a Creative Commons license. Thanks to the numerous photographers who provided material: Douglas Scortegagna (landscape), bDom (b&w portrait), Julio Romero (iguana), Peat Bakke (t-rex), Gábor Lengyel (portrait), Tommie Hansen (canal), Theen Moy (cat), JB Banks (dark woods), Richard Messenger (Yemeni), Greg Myers (tomatoes), sicknotepix (toque).
- Dunbabin, K. M. D. Mosaics of the Greek and Roman World. Cambridge University Press, 1999.Google Scholar
- Ling, R. Ancient Mosaics. British Museum Press, 1998.Google Scholar
- Howarth, M. The Complete Pebble Mosaic Handbook. Firey Books, 2003.Google Scholar
- Battiato, S.; di Blasi, G.; Farinella, G. M.; Gallo, G. Digital mosaic frameworks—An overview. Computer Graphics Forum Vol. 26, No. 4, 794–812, 2007.Google Scholar
- Silvers, R. Photomosaics. Henry Holt and Co., Inc., 1997.Google Scholar
- Haeberli, P. Paint by numbers: Abstract image representations. In: Proceedings of the 17th Annual Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques, 207–214, 1990.Google Scholar
- Hausner, A. Simulating decorative mosaics. In: Proceedings of the 28th Annual Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques, 573–580, 2001.Google Scholar
- Secord, A. Weighted Voronoi stippling. In: Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Non-Photorealistic Animation and Rendering, 37–43, 2002.Google Scholar
- Kim, J.; Pellacini, F. Jigsaw image mosaics. ACM Transactions on Graphics Vol. 21, No. 3, 657–664, 2002.Google Scholar
- Saputra, R. A.; Kaplan, C. S.; Asente, P.; Měch, R. FLOWPAK: Flow-based ornamental element packing. In: Proceedings of Graphics Interface Conference, 8–15, 2017.Google Scholar
- Saputra, R. A.; Kaplan, C. S.; Asente, P. RepulsionPak: Deformation-driven element packing with repulsion forces. In: Proceedings of Graphics Interface Conference, 10–17, 2018.Google Scholar
- Kwan, K. C.; Sinn, L. T.; Han, C.; Wong, T. T.; Fu, C. W. Pyramid of arclength descriptor for generating collage of shapes. ACM Transactions on Graphics Vol. 35, No. 6, Article No. 229, 2016.Google Scholar
- Smith, K.; Liu, Y.; Klein, A. Animosaics. In: Proceedings of the ACM SIGGRAPH/Eurographics Symposium on Computer Animation, 201–208, 2005.Google Scholar
- Dalal, K.; Klein, A. W.; Liu, Y.; Smith, K. A spectral approach to NPR packing. In: Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Non-Photorealistic Animation and Rendering, 71–78, 2006.Google Scholar
- Kaplan, C. S.; Salesin, D. H. Escherization. In: Proceedings of the 27th Annual Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques, 499–510, 2000.Google Scholar
- Kaplan, C. S.; Salesin, D. H. Dihedral escherization. In: Proceedings of the Conference on Graphics Interface, 255–262, 2004.Google Scholar
- Brox, T.; van den Boomgaard, R.; Lauze, F.; van de Weijer, J.; Weickert, J.; Mrázek, P.; Kornprobst, P. Adaptive structure tensors and their applications. In: Visualization and Processing of Tensor Fields. Mathematics and Visualization. Weickert, J.; Hagen, H. Eds. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 17–47, 2006.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gonzalez, R. C.; Woods, R. E. Digital Image Processing, 3rd edn. Prentice Hall, 2008.Google Scholar
- Gatys, L. A.; Ecker, A. S.; Bethge, M. Image style transfer using convolutional neural networks. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition 2414–2423, 2016.Google Scholar
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which permits use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons licence, and indicate if changes were made.
The images or other third party material in this article are included in the article’s Creative Commons licence, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the article’s Creative Commons licence and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder.
To view a copy of this licence, visit https://doi.org/creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/.
Other papers from this open access journal are available free of charge from https://doi.org/www.springer.com/journal/41095. To submit a manuscript, please go to https://doi.org/www.editorialmanager.com/cvmj.