Instantaneous foveated preview for progressive Monte Carlo rendering
- 257 Downloads
Progressive rendering, for example Monte Carlo rendering of 360° content for virtual reality headsets, is a time-consuming task. If the 3D artist notices an error while previewing the rendering, they must return to editing mode, make the required changes, and restart rendering. We propose the use of eye-tracking-based optimization to significantly speed up previewing of the artist’s points of interest. The speed of the preview is further improved by sampling with a distribution that closely follows the experimentally measured visual acuity of the human eye, unlike the piecewise linear models used in previous work. In a comprehensive user study, the perceived convergence of our proposed method was 10 times faster than that of a conventional preview, and often appeared to be instantaneous. In addition, the participants rated the method to have only marginally more artifacts in areas where it had to start rendering from scratch, compared to conventional rendering methods that had already generated image content in those areas.
Keywordsfoveated rendering progressive rendering Monte Carlo rendering preview 360° content
The authors would like to thank the creators of the 3D models used in the user study: Christophe Seux for Classroom, Anat Grynberg and Greg Ward for Conference, Marko Dabrovic for Sibenik (License: CC BY-NC), and Frank Meinl for Crytek Sponza (License: CC BY 3.0). In addition, the authors would like to thank Heli Väätäjä, Chelsea Kelling, and Otto Kauhanen for helpful discussions.
Supplementary material, approximately 101 MB.
- Pharr, M.; Jakob, W.; Humphreys, G. Physically Based Rendering: From Theory to Implementation, 2nd edn. Morgan Kaufmann, 2010.Google Scholar
- Koskela, M.; Immonen, K.; Viitanen, T.; Jääskeläinen, P.; Multanen, J.; Takala, J. Foveated instant preview for progressive rendering. In: Proceedings of the SIGGRAPH Asia 2017 Technical Briefs, Article No. 10, 2017.Google Scholar
- Guenter, B.; Finch, M.; Drucker, S.; Tan, D.; Snyder, J. Foveated 3D graphics. ACM Transactions on Graphics Vol. 31, No. 6, Article No. 164, 2012.Google Scholar
- Vaidyanathan, K.; Salvi, M.; Toth, R.; Foley, T.; Akenine-Möller, T.; Nilsson, J.; Munkberg, J.; Hasselgren, J.; Sugihara, M.; Clarberg, P.; Janczak, T.; Lefohn, A. Coarse pixel shading. In: Proceedings of High Performance Graphics, 9–18, 2014Google Scholar
- Murphy, H. A.; Duchowski, A. T.; Tyrrell, R. A. Hybrid image/model-based gaze-contingent rendering. ACM Transactions on Applied Perception Vol. 5, No. 4, Article No. 22, 2009.Google Scholar
- Pohl, D.; Zhang, X.; Bulling, A. Combining eye tracking with optimizations for lens astigmatism in modern wideangle HMDs. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Virtual Reality, 269–270, 2016Google Scholar
- Roth, T.; Weier, M.; Maiero, J.; Hinkenjann, A.; Li, Y. Guided high-quality rendering. In: Advances in Visual Computing. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 9475. Bebis, G.; Boyle, R.; Parvin, B. et al. Eds. Springer Cham, 115–125, 2015Google Scholar
- Pixar. Renderman 20 documentation: Rendering efficiently. 2017. Available at https://doi.org/renderman.pixar.com/resources/RenderMan_20/tutorialRenderingEfficiently.html.Google Scholar
- The community of LuxRender. LuxRender documentation: Refine brush. 2013. Available at https://doi.org/www.luxrender.net/wiki/Refine_Brush.
- Duchowski, A. T.; Bate, D.; Stringfellow, P.; Thakur, K.; Melloy, B. J.; Gramopadhye, A. K. On spatiochromatic visual sensitivity and peripheral color LOD management. ACM Transactions on Applied Perception Vol. 6, No. 2, Article No. 9, 2009.Google Scholar
- Viitanen, T.; Koskela, M.; Immonen, K.; Mäkitalo, M.; Jääskeläinen, P.; Takala, J. Sparse sampling for real-time ray tracing. In: Proceedings of the 13th International Joint Conference on Computer Vision, Imaging and Computer Graphics Theory and Applications, Vol. 1, 295–302, 2018.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Weisstein, E. Lambert W-function. Available at https://doi.org/mathworld.wolfram.com/LambertW-Function.html.
- MacQuarrie, A.; Steed, A. Cinematic virtual reality: Evaluating the effect of display type on the viewing experience for panoramic video. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Virtual Reality, 45–54, 2017.Google Scholar
- AMD. Radeon Rays SDK. Available at https://doi.org/github.com/GPUOpen-LibrariesAndSDKs/RadeonRays_SDK.
- Rodrigo. What is the latency of FOVE eye tracking? Available at https://doi.org/support.getfove.com/hc/enus/articles/115000733714-What-is-the-Latency-of-FOVE-Eye-Tracking-.
- FOVE Inc. Tech specs. Available at https://doi.org/www.getfov.com/.