Characterizing Heterogeneity of Asphalt Mixture Based on Aggregate Particles Movements
- 64 Downloads
In order to evaluate the movements characteristics of aggregate particles in asphalt mixture under loading and temperature effects and to study the heterogeneity of asphalt mixture, rutting tests were conducted. Firstly, AC-20, AC-25, SMA-20 and SMA-25 specimens with the baseline labeled on sections were selected to conduct rutting tests. Then the section images at different loading times and different temperature were handled by digital image processing to study the aggregate particle movement behavior by means of aggregate particle movement parameters. Finally, the asphalt mixture heterogeneity was analyzed by the defined heterogeneity area and homogeneity area. The results show that the longitudinal displacement of aggregates is significantly greater than the lateral displacement of aggregates under the standard axle load. The aggregate particles irregular movement area for gap-graded asphalt mixture is greater than dense-graded asphalt mixture at the same temperature and loading. And the temperature or loading increasing can lead to the increase of the heterogeneity area.
KeywordsHeterogeneity Aggregate particle Movements Asphalt mixture Temperature Loading
This work was supported by the Department of Science & Technology of Shaanxi Province (Nos. 2016KJXX-69, 2016ZDJC-24 and 2017KCT-13), and the Special Fund for Basic Scientific Research of Central College of Chang’an University (No. 310821173501), and the China Postdoctoral Science Foundation (No. 2017M620434). The authors gratefully acknowledge their financial support.
- Hu C, Youtcheff J, Wang D, Zhang X, Kutay E, Thyagarajan S (2012) Characterization of asphalt mixture homogeneity based on X-ray computed tomography. J Test Eval 40(7):1082–1088Google Scholar
- Lai JS (1986) Development of a simplified test method to predict rutting characteristics of asphalt mixes. Final report, Research project no. 8503, Georgia DOTGoogle Scholar
- Ministry of Transport of the People’s Republic of China (2004) Technical specification for construction of highway asphalt pavement JTG F40-2004. China Communication Press, BeijingGoogle Scholar
- Ministry of Transport of the People’s Republic of China (2011) Standard test methods of bitumen and bituminous mixtures for highway engineering JTG E20-2011. China Communication Press, BeijingGoogle Scholar
- Pei J, Chang M, Chen S (2010) Numerical simulation of indirect tensile test for asphalt mixture. J Chang’an Univ (Nat Sci Ed) 30(5):6–10Google Scholar
- Qiu Y, Yan C, Ai C (2009) Numerical simulation of split test process for asphalt mixture under heterogeneous state. J Traffic Transp Eng 9(2):12–16Google Scholar
- Sheng Y, Wan C, Li H, Qing W (2015) Adhesive aggregate particle separation approach for CT images of asphalt mixture. J Build Mater 18:710–715Google Scholar
- Shi L, Wang D, Cai X, Wu Z (2014) Distribution characteristics of coarse aggregate contacts based on digital image processing technique. China J Highw Transp 27:23–31Google Scholar
- Tan Y, Xing C, Zhang L, Ren J (2016) Effects of homogeneity on asphalt mixture strain field distribution. China J Highw Transp 29:8–13Google Scholar
- Ying H, Zhou J, Wu Q, Liu Y (2016) Variation of the contact form of coarse aggregate particles in skeleton type asphalt mixture. J Build Mater 19:292–298Google Scholar