Synthesis of Magnetic Nanocomposite Core–Shell Fe3O4@MCM-41-NH2 and its Application for Removal of Congo Red from Aqueous Solutions
- 32 Downloads
A core–shell Fe3O4@MCM-41-NH2 was synthesized as a magnetic mesoporous nanocomposite was used as an adsorbent for the effective and rapid removal of anionic dye, Congo red. The Fe3O4@MCM-41-NH2 nanocomposites were characterized by FT-IR, SEM, TEM and XRD. The selected removal conditions obtained by a central composite design under response surface methodology were: pH 4.0, mass of adsorbent 0.01 g, stirring time 2.84 min and dye concentration 15 mg L−1. Under these conditions maximum dye removal efficiency obtained was about 95.12%. The adsorption isotherms at different temperatures were fitted well with Langmuir model. Various kinetics models were examined and the results showed that pseudo-second-order could be the best model for the adsorption rate.
KeywordsCongo red Adsorption Core–shell magnetic mesoporous nanocomposite Central composite design Removal
Authors appreciatively acknowledge the financial support of the University of Lorestan.
- Ahmadi K, Ghaedi M, Ansari A (2015) Comparison of nickel doped zinc sulfide and/or palladium nanoparticle loaded on activated carbon as efficient adsorbents for kinetic and equilibrium study of removal of Congo red dye. Spectrochim Acta Part A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 136:1441–1449CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dubinin MM, Radushkevich L (1947) Equation of the characteristic curve of activated charcoal. Chem Zentr 1(1):875Google Scholar
- Hamdaoui O, Chiha M (2007) Removal of methylene blue from aqueous solutions by wheat bran. Acta Chim Slov 54(2):407–418Google Scholar
- Joglekar A, May A (1987) Product excellence through design of experiments. Cereal Foods World 32(12):857–868Google Scholar
- Temkin M, Pyzhew V (1940) Recent modification to Langmuir isotherms. Acta Physiochim USSR 12:217–225Google Scholar
- Weber WJ, Morris JC (1963) Kinetics of adsorption on carbon from solution. J Sanit Eng Division 89(2):31–60Google Scholar
- Zarei M, Sharifnezhad Z, Nasiri R, Aghayari R, Maddah H, Nikpanje E, Yosefi F (2015) The effect of modified magnetic mesoporous silica nanoparticles on water disinfection. J Mater Sci Surf Eng 2(3):146–150Google Scholar