Towards Ecological Management: Identifying Barriers and Opportunities in Transition from Linear to Circular Economy
This article will discuss the concepts of Cradle to Cradle and Circular Economy in relation to sustainable production involving philosophical debates on economic growth, and the risk of subversion of managerial practice to business as usual. The case study is based on the assignments submitted by Masters students as part of a course related to sustainable production and consumption at Leiden University in The Netherlands. Some of the supposedly best practice cases placed on the website of the Ellen MacArthur Foundation or those awarded Cradle to Cradle certificate were evaluated by students as green-washing. Larger implications of circular production for business and ecological management are discussed.
KeywordsCircular economy Cradle to cradle Green-washing Ecological management
- American Iron and Steel Institute. 2016. Steel is the world’s most recycled material. https://steel.org/sustainability/steel-recycling.aspx. Accessed 30 Nov 2018.
- Arthur, R. 2015. Coca-Cola creates PET bottle made entirely from plants – but when will we see it on shelves? https://www.beveragedaily.com/Article/2015/06/05/Coca-Cola-produces-first-PET-bottle-made-entirely-from-plants. Accessed 30 Nov 2018.
- Balch, O. 2011. Coca-Cola in green bottles. The Guardian, September 12. https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/coca-cola-green-plant-bottles. Accessed 30 Nov 2018.
- Ban the Bottle. 2016. Bottled water facts. www.banthebottle.net/bottled-water-facts/. Accessed 30 Nov 2018.
- Bauwens, T. 2018. Resources, waste and circular economy. Presentation given as part of guest lecture series for minor Sustainable Business, at The Hague University of Applied Science, October 30, 2018.Google Scholar
- Boulding, K. 1966. The economics of the coming spaceship earth. In Environmental quality in a growing economy—Essays from the sixth RFF forum, ed. H. Jarrett. Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins University Press.Google Scholar
- Braungart, M. 2013. Waste to energy. http://catalystreview.net/2010/02/cradle-tocradle-transitioning-from-waste-incineration-to-beneficial-materials/. Accessed 30 Nov 2018.
- Braungart, M., and W. McDonough. 2009. Cradle to cradle: Remaking the way we make things. London: Vintage.Google Scholar
- Burton, M. 2015. The decoupling debate: can economic growth really continue without emission increases? DeGrowth and Resilience. https://www.resilience.org/stories/2015-10-13/the-decoupling-debate-can-economic-growth-really-continue-without-emission-increases. Accessed 30 Nov 2018.
- Cradle to Cradle Certified. 2014. Cradle to cradle certified products registry: Dopper original. http://www.c2ccertified.org/get-certified/levels. Accessed 30 Nov 2018.
- Crist, E. 2012. Abundant earth and population. In Life on the Brink: Environmentalists confront Overpopulation, eds. P. Cafaro, E. Crist. Athens: University of Georgia Press. 141–153.Google Scholar
- Daly, H. and Farley, J. 2004. Ecological economics: Principles and practice. Island Press.Google Scholar
- Dopper. 2015a. Annual Report 2015: The bottle is the message. https://dopper.com/annual-report/#firstSection. Accessed 30 Nov 2018.
- Dopper. 2015b. Be the messenger. https://dopper.com/usa/bethemessenger/. Accessed 30 Nov 2018.
- Dopper. 2015c. Certifications. https://dopper.com/usa/about-dopper/quality-certifications/. Accessed 30 Nov 2018.
- Dopper. 2015d. Mission. https://dopper.com/mission/. Accessed 30 Nov 2018.
- Dopper. 2015e. Water in Nepal. https://dopper.com/foundation/water-in-nepal/. Accessed 30 Nov 2018.
- Genovese, A., A. Acquaye, A. Figueroa, and S.C.L. Koh. 2015. Sustainable supply chain management and the transition towards a circular economy: evidence and some applications. Omega 66 (2017): 344–357.Google Scholar
- Green, P. S. 2015. The life of a plastic water bottle. Bloomberg, February 27. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/photo-essays/2015-02-27/the-life-of-a-plastic-water-bottle.
- Hogan, J., N. Chu and P. Low. 2014. Klean Kanteen. Design Life-Cycle. http://www.designlife-cycle.com/klean-kanteen-life-cycle/. Accessed 30 Nov 2018.
- How It’s Made. 2014. The Dopper. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sMiBhdNGOA. Accessed 30 Nov 2018.
- Johnson, J., B.K. Reck, T. Wang, and T.E. Graedel. 2007. The energy benefit of stainless steel recycling. Energy Policy. http://www.mgg-recycling.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/The-Energy-Benefit-of-Stainless-Steel-Recycling.pdf. Accessed 30 Nov 2018.
- Klean Kanteen. 2016a. Energy. https://www.kleankanteen.com/pages/energy. Accessed 30 Nov 2018.
- Klean Kanteen. 2016b. Shipping. https://www.kleankanteen.com/pages/shipping. Accessed 30 Nov 2018.
- Klean Kanteen. 2016c. Sustainability. https://www.kleankanteen.com/pages/sustainability. Accessed 30 Nov 2018.
- Kopnina, H. 2017. Teaching about sustainable production and consumption. In Sociocultural perspectives on youth ethical consumerism, ed. by G. Reis, M. P. Mueller, R. A. Gisewhite, L. Siveres and Brito, R, 131–147. Dordrecht: Springer.Google Scholar
- Kopnina, H. 2018. Teaching circular economy: Overcoming the challenge of green-washing. In Handbook of engaged sustainability: Contemporary trends and future prospects, ed. S.K. Dhiman and J. Marques. Dordrecht: Springer.Google Scholar
- Life Without Plastic. 2015. Common plastics #1 to #7. https://www.lifewithoutplastic.com/store/common_plastics_no_1_to_no_7. Accessed 30 Nov 2018.
- Materials World. 2015. 5 things you didn’t know about…chromium. http://materialsworld.tumblr.com/post/123771554097/5-things-you-didnt-know-aboutchromium. Accessed 30 Nov 2018.
- McDonough, W., and M. Braungart. 2002. Remaking the way we make things: Cradle to cradle. New York: North Point Press.Google Scholar
- Pierre-Louis, K. 2012. Green washed: Why we can’t buy our way to a green planet. New York: IG Publishing.Google Scholar
- Population Matters. 2013. Hans Rosling is ecologically illiterate. http://www.populationmatters.org/hans-rosling-ecologically-illiterate/. Accessed 30 Nov 2018.
- Preserve. 2016a. Purposeful plastics. https://www.preserveproducts.com/explore/purposeful-plastics. Accessed 11 Dec 2017
- Preserve. 2016b. Shop. https://www.preserveproducts.com/shop/dopper-112. Accessed 11 Dec 2017
- Rammelt, C., and P. Crisp. 2014. A systems and thermodynamics perspective on technology in the circular economy. Real-world economics review 68: 25–40.Google Scholar
- Rees, W. 2010. What’s blocking sustainability? Human nature, cognition, and denial. Sustainability: Science, Practice, & Policy 6 (2): 13–25 http://www.gci.org.uk/Documents/BlockingSustainability(Final0910).pdf. Accessed 30 Nov 2018.Google Scholar
- Rithoff, M., H. Rohn and C. Liedtke. 2002. Calculating MIPS: resource productivity of products and services. Wuppertal Institute for Climate, Environment, and Energy, 27e. https://www.econstor.eu/bitstream/10419/59294/1/485276682.pdf. Accessed 30 Nov 2018.
- Rogers, T. 2015. Everything you need to know about Polylactic Acid (PLA). Creative Mechanisms Blog, October 7.Google Scholar
- Stahel, W.R. 1984. The product-life factor. In An inquiry into the nature of sustainable societies, the role of the private sector, ed. Susan Grinton Orr. Houston, Texas: HARC.Google Scholar
- Stahel, W. 2006. The performance economy. 2nd ed. London: Palgrave MacMillan.Google Scholar
- Stahel, W.R., and G. Reday-Mulvey. 1981. Jobs for tomorrow: The potential for substituting manpower for energy. Vantage Press.Google Scholar
- Szaky, T. 2015. Sustainable solutions for ending water bottle waste. Treehugger, March 11. http://bit.ly/1wZbVlr. Accessed 30 Nov 2018.
- Tangram Technology. 2014. Energy efficiency in plastics processing: practical work sheets for industry. http://www.tangram.co.uk/TI-Energy%20Worksheets%20(Plastics)%20-%20Tangram.PDF. Accessed 30 Nov 2018.
- Thomas, G. P. 2012. Clean tech 101: recycling of polypropylene (PP). AZO Cleantech, June 25. http://www.azocleantech.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=240. Accessed 30 Nov 2018.
- Van Dooren, T., and D.B. Rose. 2012. Storied-places in a multispecies city. Humanimalia 3 (2): 1–27.Google Scholar
- Vidal, J. 2008. Sustainable bio-plastic can damage the environment. The Guardian. April 23. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2008/apr/26/waste.pollution. Accessed 30 Nov 2018.
- Wang, J.W., C.H Poh, C.Y.T. Tan, V.N. Lee, A. Jain, and E.L. Webb. 2017. Building biodiversity: drivers of bird and butterfly diversity on tropical urban roof gardens. Ecosphere 8 (9).Google Scholar
- Washington, H., and H. Kopnina. 2018. The insanity of endless growth. Ecological Citizen 2 (1): 57–63.Google Scholar