Phenotypic and genotypic characterization of single isolate-derived monoascospore strains of Sclerotinia sclerotiorum from common bean
White mold is a highly destructive disease caused by Sclerotinia sclerotiorum, a polyphagous fungus that infects several hosts including common bean grown that is widely cultivated in Brazil. The pathogenic populations are known to exhibit genetic variability but studies rarely used single ascospore-derived strains. In this study, 12 monoascospore strains originated from a same isolate (UFLA 54), but from different apothecia, were compared among them and with the mother strain with regards: days to first sclerotium formation, mycelial growth rate mycelial compatibility groups, microsatellite markers and mating type locus (MAT1–1 and MAT1–2). Their pathogenicity was assessed on three common bean lines. Cluster analysis of growth rates data separated UFLA 54 from all monoascospore strains, which shared same alleles in the microsatellite locus. Inversion of MAT1–1 region was found for both UFLA 54 and half of monoascospore strains. Aggressiveness of the monoascospore strains was not consistent across common bean lines. Our study reveals significant variability of S. sclerotiorum at the single isolate level.
KeywordsPhaseolus vulgaris White mold Aggressiveness Morphological traits
Authors are thankful to Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior (CAPES), Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (CNPq) and Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de Minas Gerais (FAPEMIG) for scholarship and financial support.
- Amselem J,Cuomo CA, van Kan JA, Viaud M, Benito EP, Couloux A, Coutinho PM, de Vries RP, Dyer PS, Fillinger S, Fournier E, Gout L, Hahn M, Kohn L, Lapalu N, Plummer KM, Pradier JM, Quévillon E, Sharon A, Simon A, ten Have A, Tudzynski B, Tudzynski P, Wincker P, Andrew M, Anthouard V, Beever RE, Beffa R, Benoit I, Bouzid O, Brault B, Chen Z, Choquer M, Collémare J, Cotton P, Danchin EG, Da Silva C, Gautier A, Giraud C, Giraud T, Gonzalez C, Grossetete S, Güldener U, Henrissat B, Howlett BJ, Kodira C, Kretschmer M, Lappartient A, Leroch M, Levis C, Mauceli E, Neuvéglise C, Oeser B, Pearson M, Poulain J, Poussereau N, Quesneville H, Rascle C, Schumacher J, Ségurens B, Sexton A, Silva E, Sirven C, Soanes DM, Talbot NJ, Templeton M, Yandava C, Yarden O, Zeng Q, Rollins JA, Lebrun MH, Dickman M. (2011) Genomic analysis of the necrotrophic fungal pathogens Sclerotinia sclerotiorum and Botrytis cinerea. PLoS Genet 7:1–27PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chilipa LNK, Lungu DM, Tembo L (2016) Multiple race inoculation as an option in breeding for resistance to C. lindemuthianum in common beans. J Agric Crops 2:45–50Google Scholar
- Cruz CD (2013) GENES - a software package for analysis in experimental statistics and quantitative genetics. Acta Scientiarum 35:271–276Google Scholar
- Jaccoud Filho DS, Manosso Neto MO, Vrisman CM, Henneberg L, Grabicoski EMG, Pierre MLC, Berger Neto A, Sartori FF, Demarch VB, Rocha CH (2010) Análise, Distribuição e Quantificação do "Mofo Branco" em Diferentes Regiões Produtoras do Estado do Paraná: REUNIÃO DE PESQUISA DE SOJA DA REGIÃO CENTRAL DO BRASIL, 31., 2010, DF. Brasília. Resumos... Brasília: Embrapa-Soja, 226-228p. Google Scholar
- Lamichhane JR, Venturi V (2015) Synergisms between microbial pathogens in plant disease complexes: a growing trend. Frontiers in Plant Science 6:article385Google Scholar
- Lehner MS, Paula Júnior TJ, Hora Júnior BT, Teixeira H, Vieira RF, Carneiro JES, Mizubuti ESG (2015) Low genetic variability in Sclerotinia sclerotiorum populations from common bean fields in Minas Gerais state, Brazil, at regional, local and micro-scales. Plant Pathol 64:921–931CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Oliveira JA (1991) Efeito do tratamento fungicida em sementes no controle de tombamento de plântulas de pepino (Cucumis sativus L.) e pimentão (Capsium annum L.). Thesis, Federal University of Lavras. LavrasGoogle Scholar
- Paula Junior TJ, Vieira RF, Teixeira H, Carneiro JES, Lehner MS, Lima RC, Moda-Cirino V, Souza EA, Santos JB (2012) Mofo-branco. In: Melhoramento Genético do feijoeiro-comum e prevenção de doenças. EPAMIG, pp 83–110Google Scholar
- Petzoldt R, Dickson MH (1996) Straw test for resistance to white mold in beans. Annu Rep Bean Improv Coop 39:142–143Google Scholar
- R Core Team (2014). R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna. Available at: www.R-project.org
- Russel PF, Rao TR (1940) On habitat and association of species of Anopheline larvae in south-eastern Madras. J Malaria Inst India 3:153–178Google Scholar
- Singh SP, Schuwartz HF, Steadman JR (2014) A new scale for white mold disease rating for the common bean cut-stem method of inoculation in the greenhouse. Annu Rep Bean Improv Coop 57:231–232Google Scholar