‘A Government of Transformation’: An Analysis of the Initial Education Policy Directions of the Labour-Led Coalition Government of New Zealand 2017–2018
From the outset, the Labour-led Coalition Government of 2017 was intent on ‘transformation’. For the education sector, this was signalled immediately with the announcement of an extensive programme of review and reform initiated in their first 100 days of power. Yet, what is at the heart of the proposed changes and what were they trying to address? Drawing on Bacchi’s (Analysing policy: What’s the problem represented to be? Pearson, London, 2009) What’s the Problem Represented to Be? approach, we examine the significant problems identified by the in-coming Government through key public messages during their first 8 months (October 26th, 2017–June 30th, 2018). By analysing official discourses released by Ministers, we examine how the problems which the policies intended to address were constructed and represented to the public. Our analysis identified four main ‘problems’: the de-professionalisation of the teaching profession; the quality of public education; equity and access; and preparedness for the twenty first century. We conclude by examining how the representations of these problems may provide key insights into how imagined solutions are proposed and enacted in the future.
KeywordsEducation policy What’s the problem Labour government Reform Problem representation
- Ardern, J. (2017). Speech from the throne. Retrieved from https://www.beehive.govt.nz/speech/speech-throne-2017.
- Bacchi, C. (2009). Analysing policy: What’s the problem represented to be?. London: Pearson.Google Scholar
- Bourdieu, P. (1997). The forms of capital. Education: Culture, Economy, Society (pp. 46–58). Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Collins, H. (2013). Education for Māori needs more than charter schools. Education Aotearoa, 4(3), 12–14.Google Scholar
- Cooper, G. (2012). Kaupapa Māori research: Epistemic wilderness as freedom? New Zealand Journal of Educational Studies, 47(2), 64–73.Google Scholar
- Davis, K. (2018). Education (Tertiary education and other matters) amendment bill—third reading [NZPD]. Retrieved from https://www.parliament.nz/en/pb/hansard-debates/rhr/document/HansS_20180320_076800000/davis-kelvin-williams-poto.
- Education Council of Aotearoa New Zealand. (2018). ‘Facebook Live’ Interview with the Minister of Education, Chris Hipkins. Retrieved from https://www.facebook.com/nzeducationcouncil/videos/1352973584833004/.
- Gilbert, J. (2005). Catching the knowledge wave? The knowledge society and the future of education. Wellington: NZCER Press.Google Scholar
- Hipkins, C. (2017a). 5. Education, National Standards—Removal [NZPD]. Retrieved from https://www.parliament.nz/en/pb/hansard-debates/rhr/document/HansS_20171212_051750000/5-education-national-standards-removal.
- Hipkins, C. (2017b). Address in reply [NZPD]. Retrieved from https://www.parliament.nz/en/pb/hansard-debates/rhr/document/HansS_20171128_062700000/hipkins-chris.
- Hipkins, C. (2018a). 5000 New Zealanders have their say on future of education [Press release]. Retrieved from http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA1804/S00244/5000-new-zealanders-have-their-say-on-future-of-education.htm.
- Hipkins, C. (2018b). 6. Question No. 6—Education [NZPD]. Retrieved from https://www.parliament.nz/en/pb/hansard-debates/rhr/document/HansS_20180522_052050000/6-question-no-6-education.
- Hipkins, C. (2018c). 7. Question No. 7—Education [NZPD]. Retrieved from https://www.parliament.nz/en/pb/hansard-debates/rhr/document/HansS_20180130_053250000/7-question-no-7-education.
- Hipkins, C. (2018d). 8. Tertiary Education—Trades Training and Fees-free Policy [NZPD]. Retrieved from https://www.parliament.nz/en/pb/hansard-debates/rhr/document/HansS_20180503_052350000/8-tertiary-education-trades-training-and-fees-free-policy.
- Hipkins, C. (2018e). Annual Review Debate [NZPD]. Retrieved from https://www.parliament.nz/en/pb/hansard-debates/rhr/document/HansS_20180403_060450000/hipkins-chris.
- Hipkins, C. (2018f). Budget Debate [NZPD]. Retrieved from https://www.parliament.nz/en/pb/hansard-debates/rhr/document/HansS_20180523_054225000/hipkins-chris.
- Hipkins, C. (2018g). Chronic teacher shortage laid bare [Press release]. Retrieved from http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA1802/S00262/chronic-teacher-shortage-laid-bare.htm.
- Hipkins, C. (2018h). Education amendment bill—first reading [NZPD]. Retrieved from https://www.parliament.nz/en/pb/hansard-debates/rhr/document/HansS_20180215_058725000/hipkins-chris.
- Hipkins, C. (2018i). Education portfolio work programme: Purpose, objectives and overview [Cabinet paper]. Retrieved from https://www.education.govt.nz/assets/Documents/Ministry/Information-releases/R-Education-Portfolio-Work-Programme-Purpose-Objectives-and-Overview.pdf.
- Hipkins, C. (2018j). Helping our kids to develop the skills to be digital thinkers [Press release]. Retrieved from http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA1803/S00299/helping-our-kids-develop-the-skills-to-be-digital-thinkers.htm.
- Hipkins, C. (2018k). Towards a future-focused, learner-centred Education Workforce Strategy to 2032 [Cabinet paper]. Retrieved from http://education.govt.nz/assets/Documents/Ministry/Information-releases/2018-releases/Final-Education-Workforce-Strategy.pdf.
- Huberman, M., & Miles, M. (1998). Data management and analysis methods. In N. Denzin & Y. Lincoln (Eds.), Collecting and interpreting qualitative materials (pp. 179–210). Thousand Oaks: Sage.Google Scholar
- Lauder, H., Young, M., Daniels, H., Balarin, M., & Lowe, J. (2012). Introduction. Educating for the knowledge economy? Critical perspectives (pp. 1–24). New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Mediaworks New Zealand. (2017). National Standards has sent kids’ education backwards—Chris Hipkins [TV interview]. Retrieved from https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2017/12/national-standards-has-sent-kids-education-backwards-chris-hipkins.html.
- Mediaworks New Zealand. (2018). Judy Bailey grills Chris Hipkins on teacher salaries [TV interview]. Retrieved from https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2018/02/judy-bailey-grills-chris-hipkins-on-teacher-salaries.html.
- Ministry of Education. (2019). Education work programme overview. Retrieved from https://conversation.education.govt.nz/about.
- Olofson, M. (2018). Public/Private Partnership Schools in New Zealand: Justifications and context. The William & Mary Educational Review, 5(1), 35–51.Google Scholar
- Parata, H. (2012). Hekia’s hopes for New Zealand education. Retrieved from http://archive.educationreview.co.nz/magazine/February-2012/hekias-hopes-for-new-zealand-education/.
- Patton, M. Q. (2002). Qualititave research and evaluative methods. Thousand Oaks: Sage.Google Scholar
- Radio New Zealand. (2017). ‘Everybody will benefit’ from no tertiary fees–Chris Hipkins [Radio interview]. Retrieved from https://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/morningreport/audio/2018624350/everybody-will-benefit-from-no-tertiary-fees-chris-hipkins.
- Radio New Zealand. (2018a). Evidence for charter schools does not bear scrutiny—Minister [Radio interview]. Retrieved from https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/350038/evidence-for-charter-schools-does-not-bear-scrutiny-minister.
- Radio New Zealand. (2018b). Focus on Politics for 27 April 2018 [Radio interview]. Retrieved from https://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/focusonpolitics/audio/2018642760/focus-on-politics-for-27-April-2018.
- Salesa, J. (2017). General debate [NZPD]. Retrieved from https://www.parliament.nz/en/pb/hansard-debates/rhr/document/HansS_20171206_056100000/salesa-jenny.
- Salesa, J. (2018). Education (tertiary education and other matters) amendment bill—in committee [NZPD]. Retrieved from https://www.parliament.nz/en/pb/hansard-debates/rhr/document/HansS_20180227_076125000/salesa-jenny.
- Television New Zealand. (2017). Q + A: Tracey Martin interviewed by Jessica Mutch [Interview transcript]. Retrieved from http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO1711/S00066/qa-tracey-martin-interviewed-by-jessica-mutch.htm.
- Television New Zealand. (2018). Q + A: Education Minister Chris Hipkins [Interview transcript]. Retrieved from http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO1805/S00405/qa-education-minister-chris-hipkins.htm.
- Wood, B. E., & Sheehan, M. (2012). Dislodging knowledge? The New Zealand curriculum in the 21st century. Pacific-Asian Education, 24(1), 17–30.Google Scholar