Pressure Determination Approach in Specific Pressure Regions and FEM-Based Stress Analysis of the Housing of an External Gear Pump
- 122 Downloads
In this study, an application algorithm has been introduced to explore structural optimisation for gear pump housing. In the study, experimental and theoretical (analytical and numerical) methods are utilised. A commercial external spur gear pump which has 17.1 Lmin − 1 volumetric flow rate with maximum pressure capacity of 250 bar has been considered for an application case study. In the experimental section of the study, four pressure sensors (emitters) were placed with angle intervals of 45°, 90°, 135°, and 180° on the pump’s housing to measure operating pressure values at specific pressure regions of the housing from inlet to outlet. According to experimental results of the pressure measurements, a response surface analysis (RSA) was carried out and then an estimation model (empirical equation), which could be used to calculate pressure values at any specific region of the housing, was obtained. According to the RSA results gained, it appears that the estimation model has 99.9 % R 2 value which can be used for adequately predicting accurate pressures at any region of the housing. Subsequently, this estimation model has been adapted for commercial finite elementmethod (FEM)-based engineering software and from which stress distributions on the housing were simulated three dimensionally. FEM-based simulation outputs showed that there were no failure signatures on the pump housing. As the main conclusion of the study, it is seen that an estimation model gives an adequate approach to predict pressure values at any specific pressure region of the pump housing and, especially, stress distribution results has highlighted that a structural optimisation study may be suitable for the pump housing.
KeywordsExternal Gear Pump Hydraulic Pressure Measurements Stress Analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ragunathan C., Manoharan C. (2012) “Dynamic Analysis of Hydrodynamic Gear Pump Performance Using Design of Experiments and Operational Parameters”. IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering6: 17–23. 2278–1684.Google Scholar
- 4.Henke, R.W., “Internal Leakage in Gear Pumps,” Applied Hydraulics 8: 63–66 (1955).Google Scholar
- 5.Canbulut, F., Theoretical Analysis of Internal Leakage, Drive Torque and Elastic Deformations in High Pressure External Gear Pumps, MSc Dissertation, Erciyes University, Kayseri, Turkey (1986).Google Scholar
- 6.Koc¸, E., and Hooke, C.J., “An Experimental Investigation into the Design and Performance of Hydrostatically Loaded Floating Wear Plates in Gear Pumps,” Wear 209: 184–192 (1997).Google Scholar
- 8.Celik, H.K., Ucar, M., and Cengiz, A. (2007) “Parametric Design, Stress Analysis and Optimization of the Housing in Gear Pumps. IV. MATIT,” Proceedings Book, Konya, Turkey, 1: pp. 221–235.Google Scholar
- 11.Hong, X., Lijuan, Y., Baode, J., and Zhiliang, T., “Research of Internal Leakage Theory Model in the Exterior Meshing Gear Pump,” International Conference on Intelligent Human-Machine Systems and Cybernetics, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, August 26–27, 2009, 2, pp. 331–334. ISBN: 9780769537528/09, DOI: 10.1109/IHMSC.2009.206.
- 12.Saleem, A.M., “Effect of Tooth Geometry on Gear Pump Performance,” Tikrit Journal of Engineering Sciences 16(4): 20–27 (2009).Google Scholar
- 13.Song, W., and Zhou H., “Experimental Research on Performance of Water Hydraulic Internal Gear Pump,” International Conference on Fluid Power and Mechatronics (FPM), Beijing, China, August 17–20, 2011, pp. 154–159. 9781424484522.Google Scholar
- 14.Li, H., Yang, C., and Zhou, P. “The Finite Element Analysis and Optimizations of Shells of Internal Gear Pumps Based on ANSYS,” International Conference on Fluid Power and Mechatronics (FPM), Beijing, China, August 17–20, 2011, pp. 185–190. 9781424484515.Google Scholar
- 18.Heisel, U., and Fiebig, W., “Investigation of the Dynamic System Behaviour of Pump Cases,” Production Engineering 111: 135–138 (1993).Google Scholar
- 19.MatWeb, “Online Material Property Data: 7000 Series Aluminium Alloy (7020-T6),” URL http://www.matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatGUID=c66e13c1d36445c29bb9f852ccf2da17 [accessed on 10 July 2013].
- 20.MatWeb, “Online Material Property Data: High-Leaded Tin Bronze (SAE 660),” URL http://www.matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatGUID=b673f55f412f40ae9ee03e9986747016 [accessed on 10 July 2013].
- 21.SolidWorks Product, “Material Library: Stainless Steels,” Dassault Syst `emes SolidWorks Corporation, Waltham, MA (2013).Google Scholar
- 22.ANSYS Product, “Help File: Meshing. Release 14.5,” SAS IP, Inc., Cheyenne, WY (2012).Google Scholar