The Impact of Mosaic Embryos on Procreative Liberty and Procreative Responsibility: Time to Put Innovative Technology on “Pause”
- 43 Downloads
Purpose of Review
Preimplantation genetic testing for aneuploidy (PGT-A) is a controversial and an unvalidated procedure used for embryo screening and yet is being offered to patients undergoing in vitro fertilization (IVF). Recent media coverage of hundreds of normal euploid births from the transfers of “abnormal” mosaic embryos has brought increased social attention to this subject. Given the definition of normalcy is ambiguous, we must ask, is procreative responsibility enough to justify the disposal of mosaic embryos and to ask patients to start anew?
A gradual change is seen in medical professionals giving patients the choice to transfer mosaic embryos, while patients are simultaneously becoming more aware of the false positives and reluctant to dispose potentially good embryos, hoping for self-repair.
The decision to intentionally transfer abnormal embryos may be an act of procreative liberty as well as a challenge to reproductive responsibility, but such burden placed on patients from a test prematurely commercialized to increase success rate is unethical. Innovative technologies must be properly validated to prevent further harm by false assumptions of the norm.
KeywordsMosaic embryo Procreative liberty Procreative responsibility PGT-A PGS Preimplantation genetic testing Ethics Reproductive medicine
Papers of particular interest, published recently, have been highlighted as: • Of importance •• Of major importance
- 4.• Patrizio P, Shoham G, Shoham Z, Leong M, Barad D, Gleicher N. Worldwide live births following the transfer of chromosomally “abnormal” embryos after PGT/A: results of a worldwide web-based survey. J Assist Reprod Genet. 2019. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10815-019-01510-0This study reported the largest sum of births from abnormal, “mosaic” embryos. PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.•• Orvieto R. Preimplantation genetic screening- the required RCT that has not yet been carried out. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12958-016-0171-zThis is the first hypothetical RCT of PGT-A.
- 10.Reddy S. IVF testing spurs a debate over ‘mosaic’ embryos. 2019. In: WSJ. https://www.wsj.com/articles/ivf-testing-spurs-a-debate-over-mosaic-embryos-1521644178. Accessed 15 Jul 2019.
- 11.•• Hall S. There is now hope for thousands of women who were told they hit an IVF dead end. 2019. In: The Cut. https://www.thecut.com/2017/09/ivf-abnormal-embryos-new-last-chance.html. Accessed 15 Jul 2019. The article alarmed the general public and fertility patients at large. Google Scholar
- 12.Cram D, Leigh D, Handyside a (2019) PGDIS newsletter, may 27, 2019 PGDIS position statement on the transfer of mosaic embryos in preimplantation ganetic testing for aneuploidy (PGT-A) * BASED ON MATERIALS OF 18TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON PREIMPLANTATION GENETICS, Geneva, Switzerland, April 15–18, 2019. In: Pgdis.org. http://www.pgdis.org/docs/newsletter_052719.pdf. Accessed 9 Jul 2019.
- 13.• Rechisky S. PGDIS Newsletter, July 19, 2016 PGDIS position statement on chromosome mosaicism and preimplantation aneuploidy testing at the blastocyst stage. 2016. In: Pgdis.org. http://pgdis.org/docs/newsletter_071816.html. Accessed 15 Jul 2019. This is the first to classify the order of mosaic embryo transfer.
- 15.Gleicher N, Vidali A, Braverman J, Kushnir V, Albertini D, Barad D. Further evidence against use of PGS in poor prognosis patients: report of normal births after transfer of embryos reported as aneuploid. Fertil Steril. 2015;104:e59.Google Scholar
- 16.• Steinbock B. Questions about using “mosaic” embryos in IVF - The Hastings Center. 2019. In: The Hastings Center. https://www.thehastingscenter.org/questions-about-using-mosaic-embryos-in-ivf/. Accessed 17 June 2017. This is the first article written on MET by an ethicist, emphasizing the importance of procreative responsibility in these cases.
- 22.Handyside A, Ogilvie C. Screening oocytes and preimplantation embryos for aneuploidy. Current Opinion in Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 1999;11:301–5.Google Scholar
- 26.• Yang Z, Liu J, Collins G, Salem S, Liu X, Lyle S, et al. Selection of single blastocysts for fresh transfer via standard morphology assessment alone and with array CGH for good prognosis IVF patients: results from a randomized pilot study. Mol Cytogenet. 2012;5:24. This the first to show the second version of PGT-A is effective. PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 28.• Gleicher N, Orvieto R. Is the hypothesis of preimplantation genetic screening (PGS) still supportable? A review. J Ovarian Res. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13048-017-0318-3. This is a historical review of PGT-A adoption without validation.
- 29.Chicago IVF. Genetic testing: PGD & PGS. In: Visit Chicago IVF™ in Illinois & Indiana. 2019. https://www.chicagoivf.com/fertility-treatment/genetic-testing-pgs-pgd. Accessed 15 Jul 2019.Google Scholar
- 30.Zahang J. PGS/NGS increases your IVF pregnancy success rate by 30 percent | Dr. Zhang’s Blog. In: Drjohnzhang.com. https://drjohnzhang.com/pgs-ngs-increases-your-ivf-pregnancy-success-rate-by-30-percent/. Accessed 15 Jul 2018.
- 31.Chicago A. PGS - preimplantation genetic screening of IVF embryos for success. In: Advancedfertility.com. https://www.advancedfertility.com/pgs-ivf-genetic-testing.htm. Accessed 15 Jul 2018.
- 33.• Penzias A, Bendikson K, Butts S, et al. The use of preimplantation genetic testing for aneuploidy (PGT-A): a committee opinion. Fertil Steril. 2018;109:429–36. This is the first time for the American Society of Reproductive Medicine to officially acknowledge PGT-A as an unvalidated test. Google Scholar
- 35.Rubio C, Rienzi L, Navarro-Sánchez L, Cimadomo D, García-Pascual CM, Albricci L, et al. Embryonic cell-free DNA versus trophectoderm biopsy for aneuploidy testing: concordance rate and clinical implications. Fertil Steril. 2019;112:510–9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fertnstert.2019.04.038.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 38.Fiorentino F. The transfer an ‘abnormal’ embryo can still result in pregnancy in IVF. Presented at the ESHRE 33rd Annual Meeting in Geneva. July, 4, 2017. In: Eshre.eu. 2017. https://www.eshre.eu/Annual-Meeting/Geneva-2017/ESHRE-2017-Press-releases/Fiorentino. Accessed 20 Jul 2017.Google Scholar
- 40.Kim T, Neblett M, Shandley L, Omurtag K, Hipp H, Kawwass J. Mosaic embryo transfer: a survey of current U.S. ART clinic practices. Fertil Steril. 2018;110:e407.Google Scholar
- 43.Capalbo A, Ubaldi F, Rienzi L, Scott R, Treff N. Detecting mosaicism in trophectoderm biopsies: current challenges and future possibilities. Hum Reprod. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1093/humrep/dew250.
- 46.Igenomix. Prof. Simon joins the debate about mosaicism in The Wall Street Journal. In: Igenomix.com. https://www.igenomix.com/news/prof.simon-joins-the-debate-about-mosaicism-in-the-wall-street-journal. Accessed 9 Jul 2019
- 47.Gleicher N, Metzger J, Croft G, Kushnir V, Albertini D, Barad D. A single trophectoderm biopsy at blastocyst stage is mathematically unable to determine embryo ploidy accurately enough for clinical use. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2017;15:33. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12958-017-0251-8.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 50.Sharara F, Goodwin M, Abdo G. Discrepancy in PGT-A results among different genetic reference laboratories: how accurate are the results and are we discarding euploid embryos? Fertil Steril. 2018;110:e407–8.Google Scholar
- 52.Rubino P, Li X, Ruiz De Assin Alonso R, et al. Embryos classified as low-grade mosaic (<50%) after preimplantation genetic screening (PGS) by means of high resolution next-generation screening (hr-NGS), can have the same competence of producing healthy newborns as euploid embryos. Fertil Steril. 2018;109:e46–7.Google Scholar
- 55.Embryology and IVF support. “Can someone shed some light on this? I read and spoke to the embryologist and she said the mosaic has a 20–40% of an issue” Christiane Torello posts a photo of her PGT-A results [Facebook]. 2019 June 18 [cited 2019 June 8]. Available from: https://www.facebook.com/groups/840753359659051/Google Scholar
- 56.Embryology and IVF support. “Question- is grading out the window when you do pGS testing? For example, if there’s a 3CC that comes back euploid, is that just as good as a 4AA that people don’t test and put in?” Christiane Torello [Facebook]. 2019 July 5 [cited 2019 July 9]. Available from: https://www.facebook.com/groups/840753359659051/
- 57.Peikoff K (2016) In IVF, questions about ‘mosaic’ embryos. In: Nytimes.com. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/19/health/ivf-in-vitro-fertilization-pregnancy-abnormal-embryos-mosaic.html. Accessed 10 Jul 2019.
- 62.Takahashi S, Fujita M, Fujimoto A, Fujiwara T, Yano T, Tsutsumi O, et al. The decision-making process for the fate of frozen embryos by Japanese infertile women: a qualitative study. BMC Medical Ethics. 2012;13. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6939-13-9.
- 63.Heneghan C, Spencer E, Bobrovitz N, et al. Lack of evidence for interventions offered in UK fertility centres. BMJ. 2016:i6295.Google Scholar
- 65.Cimadomo D, Soscia D, Vaiarelli A, Maggiulli R, Capalbo A, Ubaldi F, et al. Looking past the appearance: a comprehensive description of the clinical contribution of poor-quality blastocysts to increase live birth rates during cycles with aneuploidy testing. Hum Reprod. 2019;34:1206–14.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 66.Unknown A(2017) Chakushouzenshindan 180ninbun touroue 6 shisetsu de rinshoukenkyu nihonsankafujinka gatkai (Pilot studies of preimplantation genetic testing done in 6 institutions for 180 people by the Japanese Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology)[in Japanese]. In: Sankei News. http://www.sankei.com/life/news/170214/lif1702140044-n1.html. Accessed 10 Jul 2019.
- 67.Unknown A. Japan doctor conducts questionable inseminated egg tests. 2012. In: Deccan News. https://www.deccanherald.com/content/263466/japan-doctor-conducts-questionable-inseminated.html. Accessed 18 Aug 2019.
- 68.• Chiba N. Group’s plan to start preimplantation genetic screening trials criticized as too early - The Mainichi. 2017. In: The Mainichi. http://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20170214/p2a/00m/0na/013000c. Accessed 14 Feb 2017. This is an example of how PGT-A has been pushed and adopted without validation.
- 69.Author N. Japan to expand study on egg test during fertility treatment aimed at detecting chromosomal abnormalities | The Japan Times. 2019. In: The Japan Times. https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/06/24/national/science-health/japanese-study-detecting-chromosomal-abnormalities-fertilized-eggs-expanded/#.XS1oL_ZuJpw. Accessed 16 Jul 2019.
- 70.Irahara M. Towards a proper development of reproductive medicine in Japan [seishokuiryouno teiseina hatten wo mezashite]. In: Presented for the 71st annual congress of the Japanese Obstetrics and Gynecology, on April13, 2019 at Nagoya Congress Center, Nagoya, Japan; 2019.Google Scholar