Characterization and Corrosion Studies of TiAlN PVD Coating by Using the Polarization Test Method
- 9 Downloads
In the present study, the TiAlN coatings were deposited on Martensitic stainless steel AISI410 using PVD sputtering technique. In this investigation, the adhesion strength, microstructure, mechanical properties were studied via X-ray diffraction (XRD), non-indentation, and micro-scratch tests. The effect of TiAlN coating on scratch test was also examined by Scanning electron microscope (SEM). Also, a corrosion resistance of the substrate and TiAlN-coated specimen in 3.5% NaCl was evaluated by potentiodynamic polarization method. It was observed that the TiAlN coating exposes superior corrosion resistance than uncoated AISI410 specimen.
KeywordsTiAlN coating Corrosion resistance SEM-EDX Surface morphology
The author would like to thank Sri Y. V. Anjaneyulu, Chairman, Er. D. Vinaykumar, B.Tech, Director, Dr. P. Pandarinath, M.Tech, Ph.D, Principal and Prof N. SatyaNarayana, Senior Professor, Mechanical Department of Chalapathi Institute of Engineering & Technology, Chalapathi Nagar, Lam, Guntur-522034 for their constant encouragement in all endeavors. The author would also like to thank to the reviewer for providing their useful comments, suggestions, and guidelines during the course of revision to improve the technical quality of the present paper.
- 8.Yoo YH, Le DP, Kim JG, Kim SK, Vinh PV (2008) Corrosion behavior of TiN, TiAlN, TiAlSiN thin films deposited on tool steel in the 3.5 wt.% NaCl solution. Thin Solid Films (516):3544–3548Google Scholar
- 14.Vijayasarathi P, Sureshprabhu P et al (2015) Tribological studies of Ti–Al–N hard-faced coatings evaluated with ball-cratering test method. J Chin Soc Mech Eng 36(6):567–573Google Scholar
- 32.Chawla V (2013) Structural characterization and corrosion behavior of nanostructured TiAlN and AlCrN thin coatings in 3 wt% nacl solution. J Mater Sci Eng A 3(1A):22Google Scholar
- 34.Rausch W (1990) The phosphating of metals. ASM International Materials Park, Ohio and Finishing Publications Ltd., LondonGoogle Scholar
- 35.Rajagopal C, Vasu KI (2000) Conversion coatings—a Reference for phosphating, chromating and anodizing. Tata McGraw-Hill publishing company Ltd., New DelhiGoogle Scholar
- 36.Sankara Narayanan TSN (2005) Surface pretreatment by phosphate conversion coatings—a review. Rev Adv Mater Sci 9:130–177Google Scholar