Synthesis and Characterization of New Triazole Derivatives as Corrosion Inhibitors of Carbon Steel in Acidic Medium
- 16 Downloads
Six novel triazole derivatives were synthesized from some substituted benzoic acid with thiocarbohydrazide by grinding method. The synthesized compounds were characterized by infra-red, 1H, and 13C-NMR spectra investigations. Synthesized triazole derivatives were tested and evaluated as corrosion inhibitors for low-carbon steel in 0.5 M HCl using weight loss technique. It was found that these compounds had a promising inhibitory action against corrosion of mild steel in acidic solution. Inhibitor with highest performance was evaluated at different temperature and inhibitor concentrations. The inhibition efficiency exceeded 96%. The excellent inhibitor performance was attributed to the formation of inhibitor adsorption films on the steel surface. The adsorption of inhibitor on steel surface followed the Langmuir adsorption isotherm. The experimental results were confirmed via theoretical quantum chemical calculations.
KeywordsTriazole Weight loss Corrosion inhibition Schiff bases Acidic solution
The authors would like to thank the Department of Chemistry, College of Science, University of Diyala for continuous support and facilities.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
There are no conflicts of interest arising from the involvement of other parties either internal or external to the University.
- 1.Benabdellah M, Yahyi A, Dafali A, Aouniti A, Hammouti B, Ettouhami A (2011) Corrosion inhibition of steel in molar HCl by triphenyltin2–thiophene carboxylate. Arab J Chem 4:343Google Scholar
- 8.Zarrok H, Saddik R, Oudda H, Hammouti B, El Midaoui A, Zarrouk A, Benchat N, EbnTouhami M (2011) 5-(2-Chlorobenzyl)-2, 6-dimethylpyridazin-3-one: an efficientInhibitor of C38 steel corrosion in hydrochloric acid. Pharma Chem 3(5):272–282Google Scholar
- 13.Obi-Egbedi NO, Obot IB, El-Khaiary MI, Umoren SA, Ebenso EE (2011) Computational simulation and statistical analysis on the relationship between corrosion inhibition efficiency and molecular structure of some phenanthroline derivatives on mild steel surface. Int J Electrochem Sci 6:5649–5675Google Scholar
- 16.Quraishi MA, Sharma HK (2002) 4-Amino-3-butyl-5-mercapto-1,2,4-triazole: a new corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in sulphuric acid. Chem Phys 78:18–21Google Scholar
- 18.Abd El-Maksoud SA (2008) The effect of organic compounds on the electrochemical behaviour of steel in acidic media. Int J Electrochem Sci 3:528–555Google Scholar
- 23.Arun K, Gupta S, Prachand A, Patel, Jain S (2012) Synthesis of some 4-amino-5-(substituted-phenyl)-4H-[1, 2, 4] triazole-3-thiol derivatives and Antifungal activity. Int J Pharm Life Sci 3:1848–1857Google Scholar
- 24.Aly AA, Brown AB, Talaatt I, El-Emary AM (2009) Hydrazinecarbothioamide group in the synthesis of heterocycles. ARKIVOC I:150–197Google Scholar
- 35.Putilova IN, Balezin SA, Barannik VP (1960) Metallic corrosion inhibitor. Pergamon Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 50.Obot IB, Ebenso EE, Akpan IA, Gasem ZM, Alfobi Ayo S (2012) Thermodynamic and density functional theory investigation of sulphathiazole as green corrosion inhibitor at mild steel/hydrochloric acid interface. Int J Electrochem Sci 7:1978–1996Google Scholar