Experimental and Theoretical Studies on Inhibition of Carbon Steel Corrosion by 1,5-Diaminonaphthalene
- 20 Downloads
The aim of this study is to investigate the inhibition efficiency of 1,5-diaminonaphthalene (NDA), for mild steel corrosion in 1 M HCl solution. For this purpose, weight loss, electrochemical impedance spectroscopy and potentiodynamic measurements were realized. The effect of NDA on the mild steel corrosion was also studied by quantum chemical calculations. Increasing inhibitor concentration led to significant reduction in the corrosion rate of mild steel, with inhibitor efficiency value above 90%. The corrosion behavior of steel in 1 M HCl without and with the inhibitor at various concentrations was studied at the temperature range of 308–348 K. Potentiodynamic polarization showed that the inhibitor acts as mixed type. The Nyquist plots showed that increasing NDA concentration, polarization resistance increased and double-layer capacitance decreased, involving increased inhibition efficiency. The adsorption of NDA on the mild steel surface was well described by the Langmuir adsorption model. In addition, quantum chemical calculations based on density function theory and molecular dynamic simulations are done to support the accuracy of experimental results.
KeywordsMild steel Acid medium Corrosion inhibition Molecular dynamic Electrochemical techniques DFT
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
On behalf of all authors, the corresponding author states that there is no conflict of interest.
- 5.Lgaz H, Salghi R, Subrahmanya Bhat K et al (2017) Correlated experimental and theoretical study on inhibition behavior of novel quinoline derivatives for the corrosion of mild steel in hydrochloric acid solution. J Mol Liq 244:154–168. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molliq.2017.08.121 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.El Aoufir Y, El Bakri Y, Lgaz H et al (2017) Understanding the adsorption of benzimidazole derivative as corrosion inhibitor for carbon steel in 1 M HCl: experimental and theoretical studies. J Mater Environ Sci 8:3290–3302Google Scholar
- 18.ASTM Committee G-1 on Corrosion of Metals (2011) Standard practice for preparing, cleaning, and evaluating corrosion test specimens. ASTM International, West ConshohockenGoogle Scholar
- 21.Frisch M, Trucks G, Schlegel H et al (2009) 01. Gaussian, Inc, WallingfordGoogle Scholar
- 22.Gholami M, Danaee I, Maddahy MH, RashvandAvei M (2013) Correlated ab initio and electroanalytical study on inhibition behavior of 2-mercaptobenzothiazole and its thiole–thione tautomerism effect for the corrosion of steel (API 5L X52) in sulphuric acid solution. Ind Eng Chem Res 52:14875–14889CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Saha SK, Murmu M, Murmu NC, Banerjee P (2016) Evaluating electronic structure of quinazolinone and pyrimidinone molecules for its corrosion inhibition effectiveness on target specific mild steel in the acidic medium: a combined DFT and MD simulation study. J Mol Liq 224:629–638CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 49.El Aoufir Y, Sebhaoui J, Lgaz H et al (2017) Corrosion inhibition of carbon steel in 1 M HCl by 1,5-benzodiazepine derivative: experimental and molecular modeling studies. J Mater Environ Sci 8:2161–2173Google Scholar