A Pilot Study of Deaf Trauma Survivors’ Experiences: Early Traumas Unique to Being Deaf in a Hearing World
- First Online:
- 138 Downloads
Conducting semi-structured American Sign Language interviews with 17 Deaf trauma survivors, this pilot study explored Deaf individuals’ trauma experiences and whether these experiences generally align with trauma in the hearing population. Most commonly reported traumas were physical assault, sudden unexpected deaths, and “other” very stressful events. Although some “other” events overlap with traumas in the general population, many are unique to Deaf people (e.g., corporal punishment at oral/aural school if caught using sign language, utter lack of communication with hearing parents). These findings suggest that Deaf individuals may experience developmental traumas distinct to being raised in a hearing world. Such traumas are not captured by available trauma assessments, nor are they considered in evidence-based trauma treatments.
KeywordsPosttraumatic stress disorder PTSD Life Events Checklist Deaf and hard-of-hearing community Developmental trauma
- Barber, S., Wills, D., & Smith, M. J. (2010). Deaf survivors of sexual assault. In I. W. Leigh (Ed.), Psychotherapy with deaf clients from diverse groups (2nd ed., pp. 320–340). Washington, DC: Gallaudet University Press.Google Scholar
- Francavillo, G. S. R. (2009). Sexuality education, sexual communication, rape myth acceptance, and sexual assault experience among deaf and harf of hearing college students. (Unpublished doctoral dissertation), University of Maryland, College Park, MD.Google Scholar
- Harrell, E. (2011). Crime against persons with disabilities, 2008–2010 - statistical tables. Retrieved from http://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=2238.
- Hembree, E. A., Foa, E. B., & Feeny, N. C. (2002). Manual for the administration and scoring of the PTSD Symptom Scale - Interview (PSS-I). Retrieved from https://www.istss.org/ISTSS_Main/media/Documents/PSSIManualPDF1.pdf.
- Marshall-Berenz, E. C., Vujanovic, A. A., Bonn-Miller, M. O., Bernstein, A., & Zvolensky, M. J. (2010). Multimethod study of distress tolerance and PTSD symptom severity in a trauma-exposed community sample. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 23(5), 623–630. doi:10.1002/jts.20568.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar