Radiofrequency ablation for benign thyroid nodules
- 438 Downloads
Benign thyroid nodules are an extremely common occurrence. Radiofrequency ablation (RFA) is gaining ground as an effective technique for their treatment, in case they become symptomatic. Here we review what are the current indications to RFA, its outcomes in terms of efficacy, tolerability, and cost, and also how it compares to the other conventional and experimental treatment modalities for benign thyroid nodules. Moreover, we will also address the issue of treating with this technique patients with cardiac pacemakers (PM) or implantable cardioverter-defibrillators (ICD), as it is a rather frequent occurrence that has never been addressed in detail in the literature.
KeywordsRadiofrequency ablation Thyroid nodule Pacemaker Implantable cardioverter-defbrillator Ultrasound-guided procedure Minimally invasive nonsurgical techniques
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
For this type of study formal consent is not required.
- 7.Perros P, Boelaert K, Colley S, Evans C, Evans RM, Gerrard Ba G, Gilbert J, Harrison B, Johnson SJ, Giles TE, Moss L, Lewington V, Newbold K, Taylor J, Thakker RV, Watkinson J, Williams GR, British Thyroid A (2014) Guidelines for the management of thyroid cancer. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 81(Suppl 1):1–122CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Haugen BRM, Alexander EK, Bible KC, Doherty G, Mandel SJ, Nikiforov YE, Pacini F, Randolph G, Sawka A, Schlumberger M, Schuff KG, Sherman SI, Sosa JA, Steward D, Tuttle RMM, Wartofsky L (2015) 2015 American thyroid association management guidelines for adult patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer. Thyroid 26:1–133Google Scholar
- 9.Zhao Q, Tian G, Kong D, Jiang T (2016) Meta-analysis of radiofrequency ablation for treating the local recurrence of thyroid cancers. J Endocrinol Invest. doi: 10.1007/s40618-016-0450-8
- 10.Garberoglio R, Aliberti C, Appetecchia M, Attard M, Boccuzzi G, Boraso F, Borretta G, Caruso G, Deandrea M, Freddi M, Gallone G, Gandini G, Gasparri G, Gazzera C, Ghigo E, Grosso M, Limone P, Maccario M, Mansi L, Mormile A, Nasi PG, Orlandi F, Pacchioni D, Pacella CM, Palestini N, Papini E, Pelizzo MR, Piotto A, Rago T, Riganti F, Rosato L, Rossetto R, Scarmozzino A, Spiezia S, Testori O, Valcavi R, Veltri A, Vitti P, Zingrillo M (2015) Radiofrequency ablation for thyroid nodules: which indications? The first Italian opinion statement. J Ultrasound 18:423–430CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Dobrinja C, Bernardi S, Fabris B, Eramo R, Makovac P, Bazzocchi G, Piscopello L, Barro E, de Manzini N, Bonazza D, Pinamonti M, Zanconati F, Stacul F (2015) Surgical and Pathological changes after radiofrequency ablation of thyroid nodules. Int J Endocrinol 2015:576576CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 15.Spiezia S, Garberoglio R, Di Somma C, Deandrea M, Basso E, Limone PP, Milone F, Ramundo V, Macchia PE, Biondi B, Lombardi G, Colao A, Faggiano A (2007) Efficacy and safety of radiofrequency thermal ablation in the treatment of thyroid nodules with pressure symptoms in elderly patients. J Am Geriatr Soc 55:1478–1479CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Deandrea M, Limone P, Basso E, Mormile A, Ragazzoni F, Gamarra E, Spiezia S, Faggiano A, Colao A, Molinari F, Garberoglio R (2008) US-guided percutaneous radiofrequency thermal ablation for the treatment of solid benign hyperfunctioning or compressive thyroid nodules. Ultrasound Med Biol 34:784–791CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Na DG, Lee JH, Jung SL, Kim JH, Sung JY, Shin JH, Kim EK, Lee JH, Kim DW, Park JS, Kim KS, Baek SM, Lee Y, Chong S, Sim JS, Huh JY, Bae JI, Kim KT, Han SY, Bae MY, Kim YS, Baek JH, Korean Society of Thyroid R, Korean Society of R (2012) Radiofrequency ablation of benign thyroid nodules and recurrent thyroid cancers: consensus statement and recommendations. Korean J Radiol 13:117–125CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 24.Wang CC, Friedman L, Kennedy GC, Wang H, Kebebew E, Steward DL, Zeiger MA, Westra WH, Wang Y, Khanafshar E, Fellegara G, Rosai J, Livolsi V, Lanman RB (2011) A large multicenter correlation study of thyroid nodule cytopathology and histopathology. Thyroid 21:243–251CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 26.Fleisher LA, Beckman JA, Brown KA, Calkins H, Chaikof EL, Fleischmann KE, Freeman WK, Froehlich JB, Kasper EK, Kersten JR, Riegel B, Robb JF, Smith SC Jr, Jacobs AK, Adams CD, Anderson JL, Antman EM, Buller CE, Creager MA, Ettinger SM, Faxon DP, Fuster V, Halperin JL, Hiratzka LF, Hunt SA, Lytle BW, Nishimura R, Ornato JP, Page RL, Riegel B, Tarkington LG, Yancy CW (2007) ACC/AHA 2007 guidelines on perioperative cardiovascular evaluation and care for noncardiac surgery: executive summary: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on practice guidelines (writing committee to revise the 2002 guidelines on perioperative cardiovascular evaluation for noncardiac surgery) developed in collaboration With the American Society of Echocardiography, American Society of Nuclear Cardiology, Heart Rhythm Society, Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists, Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions, Society for Vascular Medicine and Biology, and Society for Vascular Surgery. J Am Coll Cardiol 50:1707–1732CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 27.American Society of Anesthesiologists Task Force on perioperative management of patients with cardiac rhythm management D (2005) Practice advisory for the perioperative management of patients with cardiac rhythm management devices: pacemakers and implantable cardioverter-defibrillators: a report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists Task Force on perioperative management of patients with cardiac rhythm management devices. Anesthesiology 103:186–198CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Crossley GH, Poole JE, Rozner MA, Asirvatham SJ, Cheng A, Chung MK, Ferguson TB Jr, Gallagher JD, Gold MR, Hoyt RH, Irefin S, Kusumoto FM, Moorman LP, Thompson A (2011) The Heart Rhythm Society (HRS)/American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) expert consensus statement on the perioperative management of patients with implantable defibrillators, pacemakers and arrhythmia monitors: facilities and patient management this document was developed as a joint project with the American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA), and in collaboration with the American Heart Association (AHA), and the Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS). Heart Rhythm 8:1114–1154CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 32.Faggiano A, Ramundo V, Assanti AP, Fonderico F, Macchia PE, Misso C, Marciello F, Marotta V, Del Prete M, Papini E, Lombardi G, Colao A, Spiezia S (2012) Thyroid nodules treated with percutaneous radiofrequency thermal ablation: a comparative study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 97:4439–4445CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 33.Deandrea M, Sung JY, Limone P, Mormile A, Garino F, Ragazzoni F, Kim KS, Lee D, Baek JH (2015) Efficacy and safety of radiofrequency ablation versus observation for nonfunctioning benign thyroid nodules: a randomized controlled international collaborative trial. Thyroid 25:890–896CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 41.Baek JH, Lee JH, Sung JY, Bae JI, Kim KT, Sim J, Baek SM, Kim YS, Shin JH, Park JS, Kim DW, Kim JH, Kim EK, Jung SL, Na DG, Korean Society of Thyroid R (2012) Complications encountered in the treatment of benign thyroid nodules with US-guided radiofrequency ablation: a multicenter study. Radiology 262:335–342CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 50.Gharib H, Papini E, Valcavi R, Baskin HJ, Crescenzi A, Dottorini ME, Duick DS, Guglielmi R, Hamilton CR Jr, Zeiger MA, Zini M, Nodules AATFoT (2006) American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and Associazione Medici Endocrinologi medical guidelines for clinical practice for the diagnosis and management of thyroid nodules. Endocr Pract 12:63–102CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 53.Wemeau JL, Caron P, Schvartz C, Schlienger JL, Orgiazzi J, Cousty C, Vlaeminck-Guillem V (2002) Effects of thyroid-stimulating hormone suppression with levothyroxine in reducing the volume of solitary thyroid nodules and improving extranodular nonpalpable changes: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial by the French Thyroid Research Group. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:4928–4934CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 58.Rozman B, Bence-Zigman Z, Tomic-Brzac H, Skreb F, Pavlinovic Z, Simonovic I (1989) Slerosation of thyroid cysts by ethanol. Period Biol 91:1116–1118Google Scholar
- 60.Ha EJ, Baek JH, Kim KW, Pyo J, Lee JH, Baek SH, Dossing H, Hegedus L (2015) Comparative efficacy of radiofrequency and laser ablation for the treatment of benign thyroid nodules: systematic review including traditional pooling and bayesian network meta-analysis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 100:1903–1911CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar